Very strange Lag problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzt

Fully Optimized
For the past month, since upgrading my service I have been experiencing a strange problem at random times of the day.

In games such as CS:S, TF2, L4D, Tribes2, Empire Earth... while playing online I will get horrible lag that prevents me from playing normally at all. I have been kicked from cs:s servers EVERY time I try to scrim and this problem just appears at random. I also sometimes lag when talking in vent or skype.

This problem never bugs me when downloading or browsing the web. And never in single player games... in case you were wondering.

First thing I tried doing was closing programs that were downloading, and firefox while playing. Didn't solve the problem.
I then unplugged the router and hooked my comp directly to the modem. Nothing.
I then unplugged my modem for a little bit and then plugged it back in and changed Ethernet cables. Nothing.
I then called my ISP (Comcast) and had them do all sorts of tests and they said my service was fine but offered to send me out a modem for $50 (I rent the modem from them already) or pick it up myself. Haven't tried this yet... This could be the solution but I don't think so myself and I rather try everything else first.
I then did a full virus scan following the guide on tech forums, and then was told my logs were clean. It seemed like it fixed it almost... but then today I had tons of lag and that is why I am typing now.

Please... help me with this problem...

The only things have I haven't tried that I have thought of:
1. Reformating (I don't want too yet...)
2. Swap out modem (Cost's me time and money...)
3. Downgrade my service to what it was before... that was when this whole mess started. (I rather not do this because I am loving the download and upload speeds...)

Any suggestions are appreciated... this really is bugging me since I can not play any of the games normally.

Problem occurs when modem is plugged directly into computer. Bypassing the router did not solve the problem, so I think it should be configured fine.

Called Comcast again in frustration. They upgraded my service for a limited time for free to see if this solves the problem...

If it does I will be suspicious....

I'm going to see if they will send me out a new Modem for free tomorrow... I don't feel like driving an hour and 20 min's combined to pick up and drop off a modem...

edit: NOT solved... but it seems better somehow.

Maybe it was just coincidence that it started when your service was changed. Have you tried using a separate PCI network card instead of the motherboards?

Not really unless you know someone you could borrow an ethernet bandwidth tester. I would try switching to your previous plan for a day or so and if it isn't the problem change it back to the faster speed.

Do you live in apartment building or condo?

Yeah that's the next best thing. I had a problem a year ago or so that they were sending too much bandwidth through my line and it made my ping jump to about 400ms minimum. I was at the maximum DTA (distance to attenuation) so the signal was being partially lost. They turned it down by a couple mbps and everything worked fine. Maybe you have a similar problem.

Right after calling comcast for the tech guy to come out the problem went away...
So the comcast/geeksquad guy came out and switched out the modem... Checked the lines and all that stuff.... Everything seems normal just like last time.

Now I just have to wait a few days/weeks till the problem comes back I guess.
thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom