using windows xp computer to share connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt1583

Beta member
i heard that if 4 people plug into a hub and then the hub is connected to one computer with xp and that xp computer is connected to the internet, all 4 people on the hub can share that connection, is this true? anyone know how to do it?

jt1583 said:
i heard that if 4 people plug into a hub and then the hub is connected to one computer with xp and that xp computer is connected to the internet, all 4 people on the hub can share that connection, is this true? anyone know how to do it?
Haha... Yes you will be able to share files between the computers connected to the hub. It is alittle more complicated then that although. To put it very simple you must specify the same workgroup on each computer on the hub. Then you must specify which folder you want to share by going into my computer and right clicking on the folder and click share. These are just the basics but it seems like you'll need more detalied instruction. I know there is a walkthrough on tomshardware.com go take a look around there for more.

Basically

• on xp computer go into control panel, network connections, right click on your internet connection, click properties, the last tab in the list should be sharing (or something similar) click the right buttons (rather straight forward) and it should do the right things :)

it'll come up with a box saying how it's going to change your ips, just click ok or yes or whatever the one is is to confirm it

on the other computers go into network connections and set them to assign an ip address automatically

As the person said above add them all to a workgroup, if you haven't changed them then it'll be fine as they default to the default windows one.

if you have any windows 95, 98, me computers on the network then in network connections make sure you turn on file and printer sharing

On xp/2000 computer's you need to turn the guest account on also

That should be all.
hope that helps
david

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom