Using Windows 8 in Virtualbox

I've got to get some sleep before work tomorrow. I won't be able to pick this up again until Friday night. Please post whatever suggestions you may have and I'll try them as soon as I can get back to my machine.

I really appreciate all of your help with this!

I've got to get some sleep before work tomorrow. I won't be able to pick this up again until Friday night. Please post whatever suggestions you may have and I'll try them as soon as I can get back to my machine.

I really appreciate all of your help with this!

no problem, well i looked around I could be wrong about the command. according to another site it is simply sha1sum followed by the filename. So since you did that already and the hash does not match what microsoft has listed then I am going to assume your file is corrupted...

Oh, also if you weren't familiar using "|" between commands is called a pipe. It allows you to direct the output of one command to another to run further operations so can allow you to add more versatility to what you need to get done.

Ok great thanks! Sorry for the delay in responses - I have been away from home the past few days.

I am trying to download a copy of the iso file straight to my Linux back (rather than to my Windows machine and transferring it via USB stick). If I get the same error, I'll try running the command in your previous post and I'll post the result here.

And just so I understand, the value that goes after the grep command should be the hash provided by windows?

Best way imho:

sha1sum [filename] | grep [paste the correct sum here]

If you get output from the command then the checksums matched, if not they didn't.

Ok so I cannot seem to download the Windows 8 iso file directly to my Linux box (I believe that is more the shoddy connection I have on this particular machine.)

I ran the shasum1 and grep commands as you had described above, using the sha 1 hash provided by Windows (0x8BED436F0959E7120A44BF7C29FF0AA962BDEFC9). The terminal did not return any results.

I am not sure how to proceed here. I've downloaded this file multiple times and it just doesn't seem to work. However, when I download the 64-bit iso file it does work inside the Virtual Machine (it just won't work with my 32 bit architecture when I try to boot up Windows 8 inside the machine).

I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Download the ISO using a different machine and transfer it to that one or keep trying to download the ISO until you get it downloaded and matching the Sha 1 sum that Microsoft gives. There is nothing more to it. There is no way we can fix the ISO you have or the connection issues. You just have to find another way to get the ISO to that machine.

Download the ISO using a different machine and transfer it to that one or keep trying to download the ISO until you get it downloaded and matching the Sha 1 sum that Microsoft gives. There is nothing more to it. There is no way we can fix the ISO you have or the connection issues. You just have to find another way to get the ISO to that machine.

Ok I can certainly try downloading the file from other machines. I know my connection issues on the linux box can't be fixed here. What I don't understand is that when I download the 32 bit ISO file it is corrupted, but when I download the 64 bit version it worked fine with Virtualbox.

Well I donwloaded a copy of the iso file on a different machine. I got the VM fired up and running and than ran into this error:

VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not operational. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature.

Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of your host computer.

I got the same message on my Linux box. I'm guessing this is a hardware issue and that I'm currently out of luck. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Back
Top Bottom