Using two cards to create a repeater...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshall5

Baseband Member
I have a Belkin Pre-N card in my laptop's PCMCIA slot, and an internal 802.11G card. My workshop is about 175-200ft from my Pre-N router, and I'd like to be able to have a strong 802.11G signal going to my Xbox so I can play Xbox Live in my workshop (802.11G is what the Xbox router operates on). Problem is, at this distance, the Xbox wireless router will not connect, due to what I believe is a poor signal at that distance. But of coarse, my Pre-N signal is still @ 60% with strong throughput at that distance.

So I've been thinking (and someone has mentioned this to me as a "possibility" before)...

Could I somehow use the strong Pre-N input, bridge to the internal card, and have the internal card act as a reapeater from within the workshop?

Technically speaking, and being that I of coarse have an ethernet port on the laptop, do I even need to come up with a setup like this? Could I simply bridge from the Pre-N card to the laptop's ethernet card, then jump from the ethernet port to the Xbox with an ethernet cable to achieve an even higher throughputting connection?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

First let me say congrats on the pre N.
No ufortunately the notebook card you can not do that, you actually can not pass the internet, just point to it.
What they have for " G " is a repeater like you described. You connect it to your network through cat 5 , just to configure, then unplug from the network and put it anywhere there is a AC power connection. It will receive a weak signal and boost the signal. Wait...you have 802.11g...so just by a repaeter

try this it is an access point with repeat mode

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG602.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom