Using software router with leased line modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameera

Beta member
I have a leased line (64kbps) with a modem from ISP. I want to share that internet connection with 5-6 other computers. So connecting that modem with a router and connecting router to a switch will do that.
But i want to skip that hardware router(Cisco 805) coz it's so expensive. I'm planing to go with a software router which is much less and have much more features.
Vicomsoft INTERGATE
or
Kerio WinRoute Firewall
So i have one problem that leased line modem has a serial connection to the router from a cable as i know. (plz correct me if i'm wrong)
So how can i connect that leased line modem directly to my PC without a Router? Then i can run those router software inside my PC and share the connection. Is there any cables/card to do this? They can be easily found? :confused:

Thanks in advance. :)

You are going to have to get a cable that hass the appropriate serial connecton on the modem side. there are many diffeent types; EIA/TIA-232, 449, 530, V.35, X.21. And a standard serial connector on the other side.
I'm not familiar with the software routers that you mentioned but what ever one you use will have to be configured to the serial port on your system.

This thing has the potential of being a configuration nightmare as well as questionable reliability. I've seen 805 router for sale online for $300. Which IMO is wel worth it.

OKay thanks for your reply bro, I'll try talk with those software router support persons and see. Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom