UPGRADING TO WIN XP PRO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricnut

Baseband Member
Hello All,
Newbie here with my first post & need your help.
I have a Compaq Presario P3 5000 series, 700mhz processor, 512mb with 20.0gig hd.
This puter been in closit for some time & trying to upgrade from win98 to win xp pro, which i did, only to find out the next day with a popup that say my copy of xp is not genuine but everything is workin fine including automatic update ect.
I do have a genuine copy of xp pro.
My question is can MS or this copy cause my puter to be slow & sluggish because it cannot pass the Validation test.
Tks.

Being not genuine will not cause slowness. You have a 700MHz processor. That will cause slowness. You are close to the very bottom of the minimum for specifications to use XP and that is what is causing your PC to be slow. Not the fact it hasnt passed validation yet.

Try to change the performance settings to "Adjust for best performance"

My parents have a PC that runs at 700 mhz with 320 mb ram.... Doesn't have a problem running basic games like bejewled 2 and chuzzles plays music fine and can browse the internet fine.. It's no spring chicken by no means though heh.

Make sure to defrag/uninstall all the unnecesary junk.

Thank for the reply guys, i am not good in upgrading but do like to fix stuff on puters by reading when time permit.
However, i have already done all that you said CPeirce & with no results.
I have been reading this forum info. to get solution to my problems but this being an old puter i am unsure. So MAK213 can you recommend a faster CPU or any other h/w that will be compatable for this pc or any other input will be greatly appreciated.
Once again thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom