upgrading the HP 6300 PRO Elite 3.4GHz i7 3770 8gb ram ddr3

thats what the spec sheet says on hp webpage
maximum is 25watt dedicated to the pciex16 slot
and theres only one extra power plug which comes from motherboard not psu
and its shared for hd and cdrom
so there are 3 power plugs on same line can i use one of them for a higher wattage graphics card if i switch to ssd and remove cdrom?

i really want to make this work so me and my kid have same pc .

also as far as ram goes.
they only provided basic specs for ram and no compatibility charts like many other boards.

i was thinking of transferring the stock ram aticks to my kid's tower to make it 16gb total and buying some gaming sticks for mine but realized i dont know which ones would be compatible

i was also thinking to buy the 350 watt psu from the desktop tower series which should have same odd connectors
im removing the cdrom completely from this system so i will have space

The board will take any DDR3 1600, maximum of 8GB sticks.

I'm not seeing anywhere where it says the maximum output to the PCI-E slot is 25W. The only thing that resembles 25W would be maximum power from one of the cards that can be ordered with the PC new. That figure will be maximum draw from the card itself, not what the slot will output. 75W is the PCI-E SIG standard for all PCI-E based products.

The only issue you might face with that PSU replacement is the back won't line up. Sometimes you can find adapters for HP proprietary stuff on Ebay so I'd check there too.

if it fits I can make it work. as long as I don't have to mess with the plugs and repining etc that I see some people doing..

ok so I ve been looking at the video cards and still have no idea.

the option that comes with it is the nvs 300 which is Quadro.
but it has dual dvi-d output I believe which is nice.
but I don't know how it even does with gaming. I assume it sucks at gaming

for my kid I think the Quadro nvs 300/510 might work. and its very cheap

but I still cant figure out what card to get for mine.
and I just found that I can actually use a converter cable from hdmi/display port straight to DVI-D to plug into monitors
so that means I can get a card with dual hdmi or display port instead of dual dvi.

I want to spend maybe around 50 bucks on a used card that's enough to play halo and tron 2.0 and pull multitasking on dual monitors.

will nvs 510 do the job of heavy multitasking better than GeForce?

what about nvidia nvs 510?
for my dual monitor
it supports 4k resolution and up to 4 monitors
but i dont know if it is supported.i might be able to get it for a good deal feom local pc store.

the newest game i have is tron 2.0 if it can pull that and halo on full settings im happy
but i want faster multitasking performance
like having webcam recording and winamp music and bunch of windows left open without crashing or lagging.

my kids pc is probably more for gaming than mine
ill check that card out though
looks very good thanks for suggestion

initially i did want to have both gaming and desktop performance but since i can pick only one with this i would have to go with desktop performance for mine and gaming for my kids lol

this is what happends when you dont research enough before buying things

Last edited:
The problem with older cards is support for codecs and hardware decoding. A GPU is depended on by other varying tasks outside of games as much as it is inside games now. For instance, a Geforce 6200 IGP on a really old AM2 board would work fine for Halo CE but try playing Youtube or have many tabs open and it'll be a laggy mess. Hardware decoding outside of games is a thing.

Take for example the HD630 IGP in my work laptop. It's backed by a decent Skylake i5 but I'm still having hiccups in Youtube, moving around tabs, scrolling excel sheets etc. Crappy video is half the reason why netbooks and the like never really took off back in the day.

The NVS 510 is worse off than a GT 240 and a GT 430. Take that for what you will in terms of relative performance.

Back
Top Bottom