Unable to install or remove iTunes in Win XP

Ken D

Solid State Member
Hi all,
I have brought an old HP DV6000 with Win XP SP2 64 on it, back to life and want to remove/reinstall iTunes, however half way through removal I get a message that a script file in Mozilla could not be accessed, and I should check to see if I have sufficient access. I am the admin on the computer and I have changed the registered name to my log in name. Same thing happens when I am in Explorere8, the system says a file under downloads can not be accessed. Any idea what's going on.

Also have similar problem installing Silverlight, which I think only works wit SP3 and I think I can not upgrade to SP3 with a SP2 64. Any way around this one

I am kind of thinking of moving to Win 7, but I think I need to upgrade RAM to 4 Gig. Any recommendation on that?

IMO, ditch XP and upgrade to Win7. XP is reaching End of Life soon, so no patches will be put out so it will be open to security flaws.

It's true that there is only a few months left before XP reaches it's final end.
But for the time being, you could use Revo Uninstaller to remove iTunes, then install Service Pack 3, followed with all the rest of updates for XP.

Revo Uninstaller:
http://http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Before you install SP3, you should review this:
Windows XP
Service Pack 3:
Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers from Official Microsoft Download Center

Going to Windows 7, you should have a dual core processor--2 ghz would be good, and so would 4 gb of ram. Can or does your pc have the capability of using 4gb ram?
You can check the compatibility to go from XP to Windows 7 with this tutorial here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

Last edited:
How did you get iTunes on there in the first place? iTunes can't be installed on 64-bit XP.
You'd normally get an error message saying something to effect of "this os is not supported".

Now, there are ways to install it, but they usually deal with editing the properties of the MSI installer itself to disregard the OS requirement entirely.

Thank you all very much, I will go the windows 7 route later, but for now will try the uninstaller.
I am not sure how iTunes got on it, but I guess it was attempted to be installed and was never complete, that's why it did not work.

Thanks again
Ken

Ken D said:
I am not sure how iTunes got on it, but I guess it was attempted to be installed and was never complete, that's why it did not work.
Trust me, it's a pain in the you-know-what and violates Apple's license agreement.

Click on the start button, on "My Computer" left click and in the drop down box select "Properties" you should be able to see the information there about the operating system

You could be seeing "AMD 64" sticker or badge on the front/top panel because they do have 64 bit processors

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom