unable to connect to internet - talktalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

toffeetop

Baseband Member
hi guys

i am unable to connect to the internet all of a sudden. i have a 2wire hgv2700 router which has worked fine for over a year, but the last few days i just cannot connect to the internet. my broadband light in the router is flashing. i have reset the router, tried new ethernet cable and filter, tried alternative phonelines but the problem still persists. any ideas?

Cheers in advance

Once you reset the router did you make sure to reconfigure your default gateway and other settings per your ISP requirements?

Sounds simple, but I would venture to say maybe you just lost internet for a day and just needed to refresh the IP (ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew within the command line). Since you reset the router you can't get internet now because the settings on the router.

Just let us know if you've entered the information back into the router.

Once you reset the router did you make sure to reconfigure your default gateway and other settings per your ISP requirements?

Sounds simple, but I would venture to say maybe you just lost internet for a day and just needed to refresh the IP (ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew within the command line). Since you reset the router you can't get internet now because the settings on the router.

Just let us know if you've entered the information back into the router.

i have not entered this info as i would have no idea as to how to go about doing this. sorry i am a bit of a novice, but any help would be appreciated (particularly if it is given in dummie mode)

That would be your issue then IMO.

You are going to have to contact your ISP - as everyones settings are different. Generally speaking you are going to have to use an ethernet cable to connect to your router. Then log into your router using your Internet explorer (type 192.168.1.1). At the login screen you will type admin in the user name, and nothing in the password area (or type admin, depends on the router).

At that point call your ISP and say you need to configure your router, they will give you the information that needs to be typed in (default gateway, bridge the connection between your modem and router, etc).

At that point you shoudl be set. Then you will need to secure your network by changing the login information, change your SSID if you are broadcasting a wireless signal, and mask the SSID. Use WPA or WPA2 to encrypt the wireless signal. If you keep the wireless function off or dont' have that capability, just change the login information.

There it is in a nutshell. Call your IPS FIRST, then report back if you ahve any issues.

i contacted my ISP (talktalk) and got the following:

VCI 38 VPI 0

encapulation mode: vcmux
authentication: chap
taltalk primary dns server: 62.24.199.13
taltalk secondary dns server: 62.24.199.23

where do i take it from here?

can anyone help?

You really need to talk w/ your ISP. While we could walk you through entering in the DNS servers, that won't help the bridging of the connection between the router and the modem. Essentially you have to follow specific steps in order to bridge the connection between the router and the moden to ensure that your router is getting Internet from the modem, then giving IP's to the computers connected to it.

Seriously, talk w/ your ISP about this and ask them to walk you through connecting your router to their modem - EVERY ISP i've spoken with has done this, and i've found the steps are different w/ every ISP. So while we could half-*** troubleshoot the problem for a couples hours trying different steps, your best bet and fastest bet is to talk w/ your ISP, get the modem and router speaking to eachother properly then come to us and we'll walk you through properly setting up you network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom