Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
The systems requirements:

[h=2]Ubuntu Desktop Edition[/h]
  • 1 GHz CPU (x86 processor (Pentium 4 or better))
  • 1 GiB RAM (system memory)
  • 15 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
  • 800 by 600 screen resolution
  • Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
  • Internet access is helpful

I used 10GB in VMWare and it was fine.

We have a specific forum located right under the Windows area for all Linux related questions.

Ok, thanks. Im definitley going to dual boot windows 7 with Ubuntu. The problem is that I only have 120gb netbook. If I install ubuntu on 15GB, then does that mean there isnt much space left for applications?

That's true for out-of-the-box Windows but there are various applications which allow you to view ext2/3/4 and such partitions in Windows.

One of those applications also managed to tank my partition table too. Can't really say I'd recommend any after having that happen. Ironically, an Ubuntu LiveCD with TestDisk saved it, thankfully.

Having said that, yes, Ubuntu will be fine on 15gb of space. Linux and its applications tend to have smaller footprints (especially if you're used to Windows with games, as some games are absolutely huge). I install a lot of applications, far more than I'd ever need, mostly because I just tag everything into one massive "apt-get install" command that I have saved in a Google Doc. That way a fresh install is followed by that saved command and bam - I suddenly have 50+ applications installed just by copying and pasting a simple command. I think my root partition on my main desktop is in the area of 8gb of space in use. That's just the OS + applications, though. No personal data, videos, music, etc.

And yes, leaving all of your personal documents on Windows and utilizing them from Linux would be a good idea. That way you can allocate just a sliver of space for Ubuntu yet both operating systems can utilize that media. The only thing is, when you boot up Ubuntu you'll have to open your home folder and click on the Windows drive on the left side. Once done, it will auto-mount and your stuff will be available.

Personally, if you're a heavy Windows user I think that is the best bet. That way you give Linux what little space it needs to breathe, yet both platforms can operate with your personal data just fine, giving you a "true" Linux experience while not compromising your Windows experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom