Ubuntu display problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Ok, well I decided to boot into Ubuntu (7.10) today, after not doing it in forever. Booted into it fine, and noticed that my display was on my CRT rather than my LCD. No big deal I thought, so I went into the screens options. Didn't work. So I decided to try to uninstall the nvidia drivers from the restricted drivers manager. Said it needed to reboot to take effect, so i did. Got to the Ubuntu loading screen fine, and after that, both of my monitors went black. My CRT said "out of range" and my LCD remained black. I can tell Ubuntu boots up, though, beacuse i can hear the boot-up sounds. Tried rebooting several times, and it didn't work. Any idea on how I could fix it, without having to reformat the partition its on?

Well i have no answer. But i will say that 8.04 is out with LTS (Long Term Support) should have gotten that one instead. :p

Other than that i have no idea. I still have trouble figuring out Ubuntu. :D

Well I've had 7.10 for a while now =P. I actually planned on upgrading (upgrading without losing all of my data) today >.<... Guess that didnt happen, lol.

Well be warned. Updating Ubuntu is just about as good as updating Windows. ;)

Basically yes. I have heard just as many horror stories about Ubuntu updates as i have Windows updates.

Enter to recovery mode and check the xorg.conf to see if theres is anything strange, specially in the configuration of the monitor.

In GRUB choose the entry "Ubuntu (Recovery Mode)", you will be able to enter Ubuntu in text mode. Then use vim to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Or you can use the live cd an copy the xorg.conf file here so we can take a look at it. I'm no expert too, but I will give it a try.
You can also try to use the "startx" command to run X and check if there are any errors while initiating.

Unplugged my 2nd monitor, and I can get into Ubuntu now.

Tried to re-enable the nvidia driver in the restricted drivers section, but when it was trying to download an updated file, it would just sit there...left it for a few minutes, and it still just sat there, not downloading anything.

Trying to update through the the update manager to get the new version of Ubuntu. Wish me luck.

Well, I got the monitor thing figured out, but now I am stuck in Low Graphics mode. Even after I enable the nvidia driver through the restricted drivers section, but after I reboot it still takes me to low graphics mode. I check the hardware drivers section, and it says that the Nvidia driver is enabled/in use. So I tried using EnvyNG (found it via google to automatically install the nvidia drivers for 8.04); still no go.

Ok, well I got it working. I did a complete removal of anything related to nvidia in the package manager (including the EnvyNG program). Then I took off the jockey package, and put back the REstricted Drivers package. Enabled the drivers through the restricted drivers section, and rebooted. Everything works now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom