two OSs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I tried to have 2 different operating systems on mycomputer and I could not figure it out how, but then I just installed one on each, set the jumpers for dual drives and they work, I can choose what os i want to start os. ( I did not have many os's so I installed 2 xp's pro. )

bigstanklo said:
Just curious, why do you want / need to OS's on a laptop?

The reasons are similar to those for doing it on a desktop. Its a "right tool for the right job" issue, as well as isolation. For example, you can keep a junk-free highly secure OS install for work, and a more flexable one for personal use.

Ok.

What I want to do is have XP and Linux on my computer (and have the option of uninstalling and re-installing different versions of Linux.)

So do I just format my hard drive (and erase everything) and then install XP, then Linux?

And how can I uninstall Linux and re-install different versions?

You don't need to format the hard drive to install Linux. You need a partitioning program such as PartitionMagic to resize the Windows partition, and then you can use the remaining space on the drive to use as a Linux partition, using the ext2 file system.

To install different versions of Linux you can just reinstall them over the existing Linux installations on the same partition.

I had the same problem.

I just installed it twice on SEPERATE drives and then I could format any one of them without damaging the other OS.

You may consider trying it

m3trj said:
You need a partitioning program such as PartitionMagic to resize the Windows partition, and then you can use the remaining space on the drive to use as a Linux partition, using the ext2 file system.

Well, since PartitionMagic costs $70, would it be equally sensible to just buy another hard drive and put them on seperate drives?

I would say just partition the drives ( unless you have 2 already, C:, D:, or something ) and then just install the 2 different ones on the drives.

(First though, make sure you backup all the files youneed, make sure you have a os cd in case everything is fukedup, and just give it a shot. mess around with it. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom