tweaks for improving oblivion performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon1

Banned
sorry if it is already posted

open the file My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini

Allow30Shaders

This is a pretty harmless one if you've got the hardware to support it. Newer video cards will have support for 3.0 Shaders, just check the specs. If yours does then changing this from 0 to 1 will give better performance with no hit at all whatever to graphical quality.

a TWEAK FOR NVIDIA CARDS

One of the best performance enhancers out there is exclusive to Nvidia users.
Supposedly this tweak can almost double your framerate with absolutely no graphical hit whatsoever. Easily one of the best tweaks available.

Make sure your video card drivers are up to date, then search
Google for the Coolbits registry tweak. Once you have it installed on your system then go to Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, then click on
your video card in there. Under "Performance & Quality" settings there should be an option "Additional Direct3D Settings".

Under this heading is where you will find what you are looking for. The ultimate tweak is right there: "Max Frames to Render Ahead." Change that from 3 to 0 and bam, apply it and you're set. Hopefully the actual results you get on your card live up to the hype created by this particular tweak..

i got much better performance when i did these tweaks, now i'm able to run it on 1024x768 and it runs to me better than 800x600.

if this helps anyone please reply

dont believe these two particular tweaks had been posted before. Seemed like it made it quite a bit smoother for me.

Which just further proves how horribly coded oblivion is.

Here's a tool that may help 6600 and 6800 agp's that seem jerky when playing.

PCI Latency Tool

AGP video cards DO have PCI Latency timers. PCI Express cards DO NOT have PCI Latency timers.

This tweak is an important one, and one well worth checking into. Apparently, newer high-end video cards hog PCI latency for no known reason. This makes other components wait for access and causes stutters and thus lower frame rates. If you adjust the latency this might benefit you, users are reporting big improvements. You can download this small utility program that allows you set your PCI latency. Adjust the PCI latency from for example 248 to 64, and there's a very good chance of stutter free performance & sound.

STEP 1. open the pci latency tool
STEP 2. Rightclick on your graphics card and click change setting(s) STEP 3. change to desired setting and hit ok
Step 4. click settings and select apply at startup so it has a tick next to it
STEP 5. click settings and select save so everything you have just done is saved STEP 6. right click on your video card and click quickset latency (if you want to set it straight away).

I've just used all 3 tweaks (including the PCI latency tool) and it's made quite a difference. Before I was playing in 800x600 with low-med settings and now, keeping the original settings I'm now able to play at 1024x768. So I'd say that they worked.

Ill have to try this next time I get a chance to play oblivion. It would be nice if I could play with HDR at 1280x1024, which I can't right now.

why my video card is not on the list? , where should i click right click?
pcifaster3ys.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom