Troubling wifi hotspot

jimmyfire

Solid State Member
I have limited information on this but I was asked to look up or get any tips on this situation. basically a place they moved into has free wifi covering the area and they generally receive 2-3 bars and would like a better connection and as I attempted to help they told me they dont have access to the router at all so I have been trying to find a solution that would actually work and not just extend horrible signal. They have a desktop and a laptop trying to figure out if maybe some kinda better receiver for the wifi or maybe an extender at the nearest spot in the place to the router. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated in this situation.

It sounds like the only option would be to get an external wifi adapter with a strong antenna. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Yagi-directional-Antenna-802-11n-2200mW/dp/B003LLS5JI

That's just an example. You can find something cheaper, but the idea is that you're going to need something beefier than just a USB dongle. There may also be heavy interference in the area, in which case there's nothing you can really do except physically move the adapter around until it's in an okay spot.

I'd also be wary of using free public wifi as your main internet connection, but it should be okay if there's no sensitive info involved.

It sounds like the only option would be to get an external wifi adapter with a strong antenna. Something like this:

Amazon.com: High Power USB-Yagi Plug and Play directional WiFi Antenna 802.11n 2200mW: Computers & Accessories

That's just an example. You can find something cheaper, but the idea is that you're going to need something beefier than just a USB dongle. There may also be heavy interference in the area, in which case there's nothing you can really do except physically move the adapter around until it's in an okay spot.

I'd also be wary of using free public wifi as your main internet connection, but it should be okay if there's no sensitive info involved.

Also he can go on youtube and learn how to make a cantenna. You may need to go buy a wireless card which is able to be converted also a couple of cheap parts. It boosts the wifi a lot!

Also yes using public wifi may actually put all of your personal data at risk because some hackers will set up wifi traps. So be careful and make sure it is actually legitimate. Remember a good hacker will know how to check vulnerabilities and execute payloads on your machine which in turn will give him access to everything. Even your camera and microphone can be tapped into with out your permission and you may actually never know who really is spying on you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom