Transmitting large distances (one way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zac_Cutt

Beta member
Ok, I guess this is an odd request. I am looking to transmit a Cat5E signal. I have a computer with a Cat5E output and would like to transmit it alteast 80 stories upwards. That means a signal that can go through all of the floors and everything like that. Now as I said, it is a one way transmission. Would I be able to get away with some sort of router? And also, I would like to build my recievers as I feel it would be the easiest way. Would anyone happen to have a circuit schematic for a reciever? Anyways, what would be able to transmit this Cat5E signal one way at that distance?

Any Ideas at all?

Thanks,
Zac

Ok, I have reviewed what the task is and I actually need a two way system. I want it to be a sort of point to multi point type of thing. Probably upwards of 100 - 300 recieving points.

I'm not sure what type of signal it would be called, it is transmitting to well basically a Digital I/O board. So it would be data I suppose.

Hope this helps, if not just let me know.

Thanks!
Zac

It's kinda hard to give any type of solution w/o some idea of what you're trying to do. I'm assuming this isn't a typical network application. It may be as simple as a few switches along the run to compensate for signal degradation.

Well basically I have these units which run off a serial port signal except I want to convert the serial port into a cat5e which I have done then I want to transmit it to hundreds of different units all around a single office building. So I figured a wireless router is basically just a cat5e transmitter and I could just hook one up and have many instead of one receiving pieces (The little plastic things you would plug into the back of a computer.) I figured I could find a router capable of a couple hundred feet (or 800 optimal but not 100% needed probably 400feet at minimum) and then take apart the receiver and then build circuit board copies of these so I could have a few hundred receivers.

Does this make any sense at all? Is there a better way to send a Cat5E signal and receive it on hundreds of different points?

Or to make it even more easier, a way to transmit a Serial Port signal?

Thanks,
Zac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom