TraceRoute and Hops? How many hops is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
Still trying to figure out my problem with "choppy" Hulu in full screen. Changed modem, tried different things....still not good.

Anyway, on Hulu website, talks about checking TraceRoute to see how many hops there are. Didn't even know what they're talking about, but I checked it on one of those test sites and there are 13 hops. Hulu says if 13 or more, that is a problem.

Is it? What is that exactly? Is it the less hops the better? Should I just call my ISP and get them to check for me?

Just trying to understand.....thanks.......here's pic with IP address blocked...??????

30hvtb4.png

the hops dont matter as much as the round trip times (ms column).

once i suggested to someone that they could try changing the refresh rate on their monitor to try to fix a similar issue. he ended up shrinking the screen resolution and this fixed the problem.

...the ping times look fine. anything over 300 and I'd raise a flag

the hops dont matter as much as the round trip times (ms column).

once i suggested to someone that they could try changing the refresh rate on their monitor to try to fix a similar issue. he ended up shrinking the screen resolution and this fixed the problem.

...the ping times look fine. anything over 300 and I'd raise a flag

Yes, sometimes adjusting screen resolution works. Sometimes it doesn't. How do you change refresh rate on screen and change it to what?

But the strange thing is...why do I need to do ANYTHING to watch Hulu? My specs are fine...I don't get it. No one else has this problem?

Update your video card driver? Try a different browser? Doesn't sound like a network problem. When you pause the video, let it buffer all the way up. If it still does it after that, then you know its not a network issue. Unless somethings effed up in the encapsulation process. Its UDP so its the simplest one.

The problem is 95 percent chance of not being your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom