This Vid Card Right Here?!

Roughly half, but since the shroud does not actually direct that airflow at all towards the rear I doubt half of it is actually doing what they say. In any case, in cards like that you actually don't want the airflow out the back because if you didn't your RAM and VRM wouldn't get any flow. On reference blowers the plate covering all the components on your card gets proper airflow because all air is directed towards the back passing over that plate and through the GPU heatsink, then being expelled out the back. On cards like this the airflow is being pushed down through a much larger fin array to conduct better cooling on the GPU itself, while the VRM and RAM chips get left over airflow after traveling through the fin array on the heatsink. If any of it went out the back they would be reducing the cooling capacity of the rest of their card.

This is why reference blowers are a much better and efficient design and why I support them so much. Yes, there is a smaller heatsink for the GPU itself but the rest of the boards circuitry doesn't get left out AND all the air flows out the back. Oh, and it's a lot easier for enthusiasts to get water blocks for those boards.
To make perfect example, my Galaxy 580 has a ridiculous triple slot Accelero cooler on the GPU itself but tiny passive heatsinks on the VRM and RAM that are tied to a large heat plate on the back of the card which depends on case airflow to cool. They get so hot they put a warning on the heat plate to not touch the surface during use. There is good reason for this, because it'll literally burn you. The difference in VRM temps between the two cards is amazing.

Last edited:
Thanks for teaching me that PP, I never see anything about that in reviews. Is keeping the VRAM cool really important? When they make certain cards they probably put higher heat rated components in the vram.

Thanks for teaching me that PP, I never see anything about that in reviews. Is keeping the VRAM cool really important? When they make certain cards they probably put higher heat rated components in the vram.
Yes it is. GDDR5 has an envelope like any other type of RAM and needs to be cooled properly while doing higher frequencies. The important part is VRM though. If you took the heatsink off the VRM on certain cards and run a bench it could literally burn your finger because they can run in the 100Cs. For instance, idling with 100% fan my 580 at stock clocks with no load the VRM is sitting at 50c. That is with a reference cooler, and AS5 replacing the pads under the plate.
And I just realized after all that typing I was looking at GPU-Z GTX280 tab :|
Oh well you get the point.

Hmm, I dont see it? How do I? I did a quick google and it says gpu z should have it.
EDIT - I'm on the latest version
kfoO02e.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom