The official MTB discussion thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Do mountain bike frames really break if u use them wrong ? Surely they only do so if your particularly heavy and you fall like 10meters o_O

They can break even if you are using them for what they were designed for. Wear and tear can weaken the frame and welds. Even landing wrong can potentially break something.

Mainly is the weight of of the frame.. I thrashed the rockhopper on a downhill trail after one run.. It was not designed for drops 10'+. The bike I posted earlier is able to take drops up to 3x that or more (depending on skill, I would kill myself on a 40' drop but I have seen it done). Also you can drop a hardtail just as far as the slope at the bottom of the drop and the speed you hit the drop are both factors.

If you want to dirt jump you are going to want a hardtail because throwing around the extra weight of a rear suspension can get heavy and just something else to get snagged on. If you ever want to ride dirt I would suggest a Hardtail XC or a full suspension with little travel in the rear.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Covert.cfm

For what your looking for and maybe want something to test the dirt or a city drop perhaps I would rock this bike. For what I do to MTB I would kill it though :D.

Good starter bike as well for learning the ropes as this bike has a very very simple design (if you don't know much about rear suspension and or mtb in general) Like computers Can't learn until you take it apart and put it back together!

If i ever get the kind of money needed i will take a look at that bike. But this whole bike thing has got me very intrigued about it all.

So, for instance, say i got on this bike > http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gary-fisher/superfly-elite-2011-mountain-bike-ec023857 and then got on this bike > http://www.evanscycles.com/products/raleigh/explore-2009-mountain-bike-ec018922 (or the other way around) would i be able to tell the difference ? considering before now to me a bike was just a bike, i mean i knew expensive bikes existed but i never cared to find out what the difference was.

LOL yes that would be an amazing difference. The £4k one will be made of titanium and carbon fibre, so really light and good balance - lift it with your pinky kind of light (well not quite, but still). There would be a very noticeable difference just from that.
The build quality will also be much better, so things like welding joins will be practically invisible and much stronger, and that thing wouldn't break (or even dent) unless you really tried.
etc., etc., you get the idea :p

Back on the bike business..

If i ever get the kind of money needed i will take a look at that bike. But this whole bike thing has got me very intrigued about it all.

So, for instance, say i got on this bike > Evans Cycles | Gary Fisher Superfly Elite 2011 Mountain Bike | Online Bike Shop and then got on this bike > Evans Cycles | Raleigh Explore 2009 Mountain Bike | Online Bike Shop (or the other way around) would i be able to tell the difference ? considering before now to me a bike was just a bike, i mean i knew expensive bikes existed but i never cared to find out what the difference was.

The difference would be very noticeable. Even as novice.

I figured instead of taking over the What you just bought thread we could have our very own :D.

I was just looking around at Urban/DJ bikes and Black Market Bikes has some nice stuff if your into that.

I personally want the Killswitch. maybe i will put off the Rally car for a bike now. Who knows! lol.

I figured instead of taking over the What you just bought thread we could have our very own :D.

I was just looking around at Urban/DJ bikes and Black Market Bikes has some nice stuff if your into that.

I personally want the Killswitch. maybe i will put off the Rally car for a bike now. Who knows! lol.

The problem this thread will have is there are only like 3 members who have mountain bikes on this forum :p

LOL yes that would be an amazing difference. The £4k one will be made of titanium and carbon fibre, so really light and good balance - lift it with your pinky kind of light (well not quite, but still). There would be a very noticeable difference just from that.
The build quality will also be much better, so things like welding joins will be practically invisible and much stronger, and that thing wouldn't break (or even dent) unless you really tried.
etc., etc., you get the idea :p

Nah, not quite :D Interestingly, I ripped my District 9 disc and that came to 36GB, before removing special features and such; I was fairly happy about that.

36GB, that would make it 72gb in 3D. Ouch !

I knew there would be a difference in the bikes by the way, i re read what i said and realized i sounded like an idiot :p What i meant was, would i personally be able to tell.
It's just i remember the first time i went skiing the ski's i had were <£100, but the shop would let you try any you want and swap them for free. So me being that kind of person who does something just because its a good deal, swapped to some Ski's costing over £500. Apart from being faster because they were newly waxed i could not tell the slightest difference. But now i can tell a lot, going fast on cheep ski's = death :D

Yes you would be able to tell. The Raleigh Explore looks like more of a hybrid bike to me. Meaning it's designed for tar bike paths and street use. The Gary Fisher Superfly would be an insane hardtail. Also the fact that the Superfly has 29" wheels compared the the Explore's 26" would also make it easier to notice a difference. The Superfly should shift like butter compared the to Explore's lackluster shifting. Even if you haven't been on a bike in a good long while, you'll be able to find differences between those two bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom