The loss of a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for your loss man. It's gotta be hard. I have never had to deal with deaths that weren't grandparents yet.

nearly everyone of us is guilty of some sort of bad treatment to our bodies, whether that be excessive eating or drinking, drugs or the lack of exercise and everything in between.

I eat excessively, drink excessively, and exercise excessively. It's all bad for me, even the exercising. Doing 1300-1400 calories worth of cardio almost everyday, which I do to balance out my eating, has to be wearing down my body. It's definitely preventing me from building muscle. I'm sure its the reason why I eat so much though lol. I could never eat like I do know when I was a big fat blob. Hey, at least I'm not an eyesore anymore though haha.

I have been cutting back for the last 6 months because I realised I was drinking beyond moderate amounts and fairly frequently with or without social pressures. I have now made the decision to think before I drink and hope it will give me a longer life because of it.

I have gotten drunk on exactly 4 occasions in my life and will have the occasional beer or mixed drink. I think that's how alcohol should be enjoyed, responsibly and in moderation.

Nothing wrong with having a beer with a nice dinner or even having some friends come over and play Halo. (Friday is Halo and Beer night.)

It is when you let it control your life and you go out drinking every day that it gets to the point of being an issue, or as my friend who used to work at Bevmo put it, the guys that show up at 10am and if the store isn't open on time start bangin on the door.

I completely agree with you guys. Unfortunately, for some, moderate drinking isn't so easy. As Otis said, it's a disease. Some people just "can't" live life without some booze in their body. The key is knowing yourself enough to know if you have that problem or not. If you do then just stay clear of it altogether, just to be safe.

If you avoid it completely you hold a social stigma though as it is sadly seen as antisocial to not drink. Plus having a glass of wine with a meal adds to the enjoyment of the food and livens your taste buds. I think moderation and prior thought is key, at least that is the method I will be choosing from now on.

I guess I hold a social stigma, am antisocial, and don't have many friends. :p I am a tee-totaler, BTW.

I don't have a problem if someone else wants to drink as long as they do it responsibly. Medical research has shown that having some alcohol can be beneficial in many ways.

Just because someone chooses to not drink doesn't make them any less fun to be around. At least that person has no problem being the designated driver.

Its not that they don't have many friends its that it is seen as unusual to not drink. I live in a culture where a business deal is celebrated by drinking and it can be any time of day. I am trying to drink less which is in conflict with their culture and makes it appear like I am not happy with the arrangement.

Its a bit like leaving your plate clear to show that you enjoyed the food or does it show the host has not fed you enough. Or leaving a little food on your plate as you are full or does that show you didn't like the taste so just ate a little.

By avoiding all alcohol you can be disrespectful to another individual, but is it disrespectful for them to offer you alcohol, if they are aware that you are trying to restrict your intake? And if you are trying to restrict your intake shouldn't it be your concious decision (provided you are sober to begin) as to whether you accept there offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom