The iGeneration

Which is true for you?

• I am age 19/or under and I have not known the world with out the Internet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am age 19/or under and I have known the world with out the Internet

• Press this option for a free iPod... not!!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been going a little bit of reseach of the subject online. It's got me interestested

Baby Boomer Born 1946-1955
Baby Boomer Generation Jones Born 1956-1964
Generation X Born 1961 to 1982
MTV Generation Born 1975-1986
Generation Y Born 1978-2000
iGeneration Born Born 1990 - onwards

[EDIT]List has been revised a few posts down. But here is a summery

G.I. Generation 1901 - 1924
Silent Generation / Beat Generation 1925 - 1955
Baby Boomers 1946 - 1964
Generation Jones 1955 - 1964
Generation X 1965 - 1985
-Baby Busters 1965 - 1979
-MTV Generation / Boomerang Generation 1975 - 1985
Generation Y (First Digitals / Echo Boom) 1981 - 1997
Generation Z (iGeneration) 1997 - Now[/EDIT]

Totally true. I can not remember a time when i did not have a console/pc or the internet. I've been on the internet since i was about 5, i always remember Net Nanny blocking everything till i was about 12 and my parents removed it off my pc :p

Outside of school I didn't start using a computer until I was probably around 10; a few years before that for school.

I hardly ever was on a computer...I was always outside as a kid lol. Now I'm in my basement xD.

Conversation this week that I had with a friend was the iGeneration. It seem that kids these days have been labeled the iGeneration. Effectively it means that kids in the western world that are the age of 19 and under has not known the world with out the Internet.

I am just wonder for those people that are in the age and location bracket whether you feel this statement is true or not?

According to wiki

i am 19 just turned, as many of you knowand i have known the world with out the internet and even cable. I grew up in a town called Nambucka Heads in oz. Since i have lived in canada it has always been the country. Until i was 10 we had no cable or internet. moved to ottawa didnt have anything for a number of years again. It is only of the past 5 years i have had access to the internet really.

Outside of school I didn't start using a computer until I was probably around 10; a few years before that for school

I was the opposite. I do remember when i was primary school. For a while, I was one of 2 students in a school of about 400 student that had a computer at home. Or at least acces to a computer and we were using it for more than just playing games.

Like was was word processing and programing BASIC when was in year 3. I do remember my year 3 teacher hating me for this.

I have been going a little bit of reseach of the subject online. It's got me interestested

Baby Boomer Born 1946-1955
Baby Boomer Generation Jones Born 1956-1964
Generation X Born 1961 to 1982
MTV Generation Born 1975-1986
Generation Y Born 1978-2000
iGeneration Born Born 1990 - onwards

While i understand some of this. I dont understand how some of them overlap?

Gen X 61-82
MTV 75-86? There is a overlap of 8 years.

Then again.

MTV 75-86
Gen Y 78-200

Even a overlap of Gen X and Gen Y. So how would 1 consider themself a part of Gen X and not Gen Y if they were born in 81?

I voted for the free iPod cause i dont qualify. But i did grow up with Consoles. When they first were big. NES back in 87 was huge!

But i only played it later at night after i was in for the night. I still spent more tim eoutside then inside back then. It wasnt until the mid 90 in high school that i spent more time inside than out. Even then it was doing other activties than gaming and PC's. But i still did game a lot. PC wasnt so often till the late 90's.

According to the list I am a GenX, but I am actually a Buster (born in '68). Considering I graduated high school in '86, the internet was something no one had ever heard of. My daughter had access to a computer for most of her life, but no internet access until the past five-six years. I am, however, an extremely fast adapter.

I still remember my first connection to the "internet" back with my 9600 baud per second modem. Back then the internet was basically a big IRC Channel. The memories of the havoc i used to do....

While i understand some of this. I dont understand how some of them overlap?

Gen X 61-82
MTV 75-86? There is a overlap of 8 years.

Then again.

MTV 75-86
Gen Y 78-200

Even a overlap of Gen X and Gen Y. So how would 1 consider themself a part of Gen X and not Gen Y if they were born in 81?

I voted for the free iPod cause i dont qualify. But i did grow up with Consoles. When they first were big. NES back in 87 was huge!

But i only played it later at night after i was in for the night. I still spent more tim eoutside then inside back then. It wasnt until the mid 90 in high school that i spent more time inside than out. Even then it was doing other activties than gaming and PC's. But i still did game a lot. PC wasnt so often till the late 90's.

Yes. Depending on what you read it does seem to be a little bit of over lap and I guess that really comes down to what you where growing up with and what effect you more.

MTV Generation is more effected from Pop Media where Genration X was more affected by politics that finished off the cold war.

I was born in 1977, I would would say that I am more MTV Generation as appose to Generation X.

Defining Gernation Y is a mess.
Generation Y - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Like pending on who's definition you have every thing from birth dates between 1974 - 1980, 1976 - 2003.

However i think i have found some thing that is a little more clear cut. Again, there is some over lap, but I aggree with this spil up alot more
List of generations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jazz Age 1901 - 1964
* G.I. Generation 1901 - 1924 - Experienced WWII in adulthood
* Silent Generation / Beat Generation 1925 - 1955 - Experienced WWII in childhood, Civil Rights Movement
* Baby Boomers 1946 - 1964 - Space Exploration, First Modern "counterculture"
Consciousness Revolution Era 1995 - 1985
* Generation Jones 1955 - 1964 Rise of the Arcade/Atomic Age
* Generation X 1965 - 1985
--- Baby Busters 1965 - 1979 - Experienced Vietnam War/Cold War
--- MTV Generation / Boomerang Generation 1975 - 1985 - Rise of Mass Media/End of the Cold War
Culture Wars 1981 - Today
* Generation Y (First Digitals / Echo Boom) 1981 - 1997 - Rise of the Information Age/Internet/Irag War/Dot.Com
* Generation Z (iGeneration) 1997 - Now - Web 2.0/War on Terror/Iraq War/Global Economic Crisis.

Like as much as I would like to say that I am a Generation X, I do feel that I am more an early Genration Y as I was not really effect that much by Mass Media. I was feel that my childhood / teenge years involved quite heavily around the Rise Of The Information Age.

I would have to agree with you then KC. Cause i was not affected by politics, and i most definately not affected by MTV. I didnt start to listen to music and watch MTV till after 2001 in the first place.

Cause i was more along the lines like you where i was more affected by the rise of PC's. I was using my PC more than watching TV or movies for most of my youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom