The CORE I7 OR The CELL Processor????

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneeb83

In Runtime
Well here is the question that we've all bin waiting for......(atleast i have:D)

Sony launched its CELL processor in the PS3 console
And intel launched its CORE I7 last year

The cell has 8 cores while the core i7 has 4 (8 virtual)

Which proccesor is the best and most powerful??????

I'll go with the core I7.......

Hahahahaha, I would bet that even the Q6600 is far more powerful than the Cell in the PS3.

The cell is only 1 physical core with 8 SPEs/SPUs, one of those is reserved.
The i7 is 4 physical cores with lots of cache.

I've heard claims that "Moore's Law will run out within 20 years!"

But that doesn't really make sense because the reasoning behind this is the limits of silicon technology - but Moore's Law doesn't say anything about silicon technology.

Moore's Law simply states "The power of a $1000 computer doubles every 18 months" or something like that.

The talk about multicore processors just reminded me of old arguments on another forum where there was a huge debate about the End of Moore's Law - I effectively ended the argument by posting a video of Michio Kaku talking about the end of Moore's Law.

I thought Moore's law described the rate at which an item (specifically electronics) price declined over time? Or does Moore's law just have a lot of different applications?

I'm not sure what the original formula says - some places say that it's # of transistors in processors double every 2 years

some say it's that the price of the processor cuts in half every 18 months and then the original model I remember hearing - the one about the power of a $1000 computer.

Who knows? Anyways, the power of your everyday computer now far outstrips the needs of most people. Computers in general are getting ridiculously powerful (not that there aren't uses for it).

We just bought 3 servers to replace about a dozen. Instead of having 12 physical boxes, we're now going to have mostly Virtual Machines, since these brand new servers are so powerful.

It's because of this that I see cloud computing and OnLive gaming as being possible. Before, when one instance of Windows would use more than 50% of a system's resources, you had no concept of VM's being practical. Now a decent box can run 6 instances of Windows simultaneously.

I agree with you, there. OnLive however, would have other set backs due to the distance and latency involved with an HD gaming setup.

Actually, I signed up to be a beta tester for OnLive because I am really anxious to see how it will work. Hopefully I get picked!

How about we get back on topic now? :p I still say the Cell is less powerful compared to a traditional computer CPU of high end dual and quad cores.

Although i vote for the i7 but rumours have it that if the cell is utalized properly then it can give almost 80% greater perfomance than the i7.......wow!!!!.......and whats the diffrence between a vector processor and a scaler one

I have also heard that multitasking sucks on the cell processor but it can out run the i7 in microtasking (i think thats the opposite of multitasking:D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom