Tethered phone network/I AM NOOB Please help

brothaz

Beta member
Greetings this is my first post and I am noob with networking and all that jazz.

Getting to the point, I currently use my 4g lte smart phone as my internet modem through the tethering application, which, if you don't already know, allows you to use your phones broadband internet connection as an internet source for any computer with the application installed. I can browse, game, stream netflix etc, all through the phones internet connection onto my computer.

One problem is that I can only have one computer tethered to the phone at a time, thus all my other computers/appliances cannot connect to the internet.

I was successful at setting up a router (linksys a3500 or somesuch), via using the ethernet cable as a shared internet connection from the tethered computer. However, I noticed that the speed and stability over the wireless router signal is not all that impressive. For example, I connected my TV to the router, and while i can stream netflix, It does not load nearly as fast as when I stream directly onto my tethered computer. Also having multiple devices using the router simultaneously seems to exacerbate this problem.

I feel as though the 4g speed is fairly fast as i routinely get 600-800 Mbits/second downloads and 150-200 mbits/sec uploads, and my ping is usually around 60-80 when playing games like league of legends.

So my question is this. Why do other computers/devices experience slower internet when connected wirelessly to my router, whereas the device to which my phone is currently tethered is significantly faster? Shouldnt the internet speeds be uniform across all devices on the network?

Additional info I am on the Verizon 4g network with an HTC Thunderbolt, one of the earlier 4g lte phones. Perhaps this has something to do with it?

Hello,

First, the speeds you are quoting I assuming are 600-800 Kbps vs Mbps.

What kind of speed tests do you get with a device connected to the router (with host computer not doing anything) vs your host computer speed tests? How big a difference is it?

Currently as it is, you could try plugging the device directly into the router ethernet port. If the speed difference is still the same, then its not the wifi that\s causing the slow down.

You could try using a different computer as the host for the connection sharing, then use your original host computer connected to the router wifi. Is the speed difference still the same?

If all different combinations still end up causing a big difference in speed then it would be due to having the data skip, hop, and jump through the TCP/IP stack a bunch of times.

Last edited:
If you're rooted, you can install Wifi Tether and have more than one device connected at a time (I've had 4 to 5 devices connected at once).

What you're doing now, makes a higher latency because it has to jump from phone to pc, route through pc, then route through router.

Hello,

First, the speeds you are quoting I assuming are 600-800 Kbps vs Mbps.

What kind of speed tests do you get with a device connected to the router (with host computer not doing anything) vs your host computer speed tests? How big a difference is it?

Currently as it is, you could try plugging the device directly into the router ethernet port. If the speed difference is still the same, then its not the wifi that\s causing the slow down.

You could try using a different computer as the host for the connection sharing, then use your original host computer connected to the router wifi. Is the speed difference still the same?

If all different combinations still end up causing a big difference in speed then it would be due to having the data skip, hop, and jump through the TCP/IP stack a bunch of times.

I still have to conduct some tests and various setups, but I am not able to at the moment. I will return with more info later.

I thought about plugging the phone into the router, but for that i believe i will need an ethernet to usb cable. Even then, I am unsure as to whether that will work because simply tuning on the tethering app will not allow you to tether, the computer/device must also have its tethering software turned on in order to establish the connection, and i dont think the router will be able to do that, however i will try.(In fact this would probably be the best solution I just dont think it will work)

If you're rooted, you can install Wifi Tether and have more than one device connected at a time (I've had 4 to 5 devices connected at once).

What you're doing now, makes a higher latency because it has to jump from phone to pc, route through pc, then route through router.

Have not rooted, im afraid of bricking the phone. Also the wifi tether has short range, does it not? I require a router capable of transmitting signal through 2200 square feet, and walls.

The other thing you need to realize is, that even on a 4g phone network, the average router will only do 54kpbs WIRED and if it has wifi, then the wifi signal will be much less to a single device and the more devices you have connected, the slower the speed.

AND using the computer to cross connect from the phone to the router slows the thruput even more.

Back
Top Bottom