telewest broadband "10 meg"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatproofjimmy

Solid State Member
ok, i jus recntly purchased the £35 a month broadband service with telewest blue yonder broadband. I rang them up and asked wether its up to 10 meg i would get depending on wher i live, they replied no after me asking them the same question 2 or 3 times too make sure. Im on a wireless network and was on 1 meg broadband coming threw the phone line, but now im on cable broadband i had to change my router to a dsl router instead of adsl which i used before. The reason i posted was to ask how to use my "10 meg" broadband service instead of it being just as slow as my 1 meg from aol! Its anoyed me becuase of "oh, you can download a song in 5 seconds" you can do this and that, and i can do (Edited) all! it takes as long as it did before. Im not sure what the problem is,. weather my router is not fast enough, or my network card is not fast enough or blue yonder are complete (Edited) and charged me tripple the price of what i was paying before and given me the same speed! The router i have is : belkin high-speed mode wireless g router 125 high speed mode 2.4 ghz wireless 802.11g and i have a standard 54g network card. thanks james

James,

Please refrain from using profanity.

Since you said you are running a wireless network, can you give us info about the signal strength of the LAN connection from the PC to the router? If you are using windows, there should be a little icon in the task tray for the wireless network, if you hover the cursor over it, it will tell you how fast it is connected, and the signal strength. This would be the place to start before calling Telewest again.

Also, you may want to try making sure that your NIC drivers are up to date, router firmware is up to date, and even try hooking the PC up directly to the modem and see if the trouble persists.

If signal strength is good, and your speed is above 1-10MB on the wireless, then try the following:

Can you try running an internet speed test HERE, and post up the results you get? If the results come back much lower than the 10MB package you signed up for, I would either:
1. Call telewest, and give them the info about the slow connection, and have them verify the settings they have for your connection.

2. Contact Telewest and cancel the service (if they refuse to help you with it) and get your money back... See their Service Gaurentee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom