System restore not working in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara92021

Beta member
I recently went to set up a manual restore point and found out that my Vista is NOT doing any restore points, at all!!! I googled this problem and found out that, by default, Vista is supposed to be doing daily restore points, automatically. I assumed restore points were being done when I installed new programs, at least, and never checked it out before this!

So, I typed System Restore in the Start menu and got a message that no restore points had been created. I read, at the bottom, "To turn restore on and adjust other settings, open System Protection", which I clicked on. In the System Protection, there is a checkmark beside one of the 3 available disks, the Acer (C). In the "Most recent restore point" area, it says "None" for each of the 3 disks. To check to see if I could manually create a restore point, I clicked on "Create a restore point" and entered "checking up on system restore". Under the "most recent restore point", it showed that day's date and the dialog box popped up to say the creation was successful.

Because of some of the things I read in other forums regarding system restore points, I did a restart on my laptop and sure enough - the manual restore point was GONE! There are no restore points for any of the 3 disks, once again!

Why won't the system restore work?? What do I have to do to get this working? My security is ShawSecure, based on f-secure and supplied by my ISP. I am letting you know this b/c of reading how Symantec/Norton products can mess with system restore, which I had removed the first day I owned this new laptop. Didn't want that junk on my computer!!

In some other forums I read about programs interfering on startup. I am not quite sure what that meant but if you need, I can give a list of the programs starting when I turn the laptop on each morning. Could they be interfering with system restore?

I sure hope someone here can help me with this problem or steer me in the right direction for other help. I've tried a Vista forum for help but the replies got people arguing so I decided to try another forum but I didn't get much help there either. So, copy/pasted contents and put here in hopes someone can help me!!! And quickly!! Please!

Acer Aspire 6920
Vista Home Premium

Are you dual booting Vista with any other Windows OS? It could be that security program from your ISP messing with your PC.

Give us the list of apps you have running at startup. That way i can get a decent idea what is running. Take screenshots. If you need to know how just ask.

Also check the services tab. There could be something in there as well.

It could also be something with spyware/malware/viruses.

Mak213: I'm not dual booting. My ISP, and it's security program, are based on f-secure and have never messed with Windows XP or earlier versions of Windows that I've owned. I contacted them to find out if there were any known issues with Vista's System Restore and the security and was informed that there have been no known issues with Vista and my ISP's security program, at all.

I have screenshots of my startups and services but using "PrtSc" and "Paint" has made 14 images. I need to know how to post these. If it is through Photobucket, please let me know which of the codes I use. I have done nothing with the "Services" since I got this new laptop.

I know that there are no viruses, no spyware, no malware on this computer!! It is scanned weekly by my security as well as being protected each and every day. I sure hope all of this can help, Mak213! I really appreciate your help!

KurrentEweser: There are 2 hard drives on my computer: C (Acer) and D (Data). On C, there are 111GB total space with 83.3GB free.

Thankyou for your replies. I hope this info helps one of you figure this out. I will check back to see if I've been told how to add my images to the thread.

Post them up thru Photobucket. Use the ImgTag ones. they will post the image for you.

Sorry to say but just cause you scan weekly doesnt mean that you are not infected. There are viruses and spyware out there that can get by some programs. ;)

Thankyou, Mak! Here are the screenshots - 2 images for startups

Startups1.jpg

Startups2.jpg

Do you want me to post all 12 images for the services? Or could I put them in a Word doc and send it you in a PM?

As for viruses and spyware, my security program checks not only with a scheduled weekly scan but it continuously checks for malware/spyware every day. I also have Windows Defender, whether I want it or not. I run PC Pitstop regularly as well and I ran Exterminate yesterday. There have been no low, medium or high level threats in any of the scans.

I'll check back before supper tomorrow to see if you've had a chance to answer me. Thanks for the help, Mak!

Send the images in a rar file to me in a email. PM is for 40 posts and above. ;)

email is mak213 (@) live (DOT) com

I will then review everything and see if i can find something suspicious in the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom