SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pts2800

In Runtime
im thinking of buying a computer with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10, but i dont want to invest in something that wont be conpatible with some program i need. i wont be doing any gaming, mainly workstation.

1) would i be able to run microsoft word? if not does it come with a program that can be conpatible with it?
2) would i be able to watch movies on it? (i know its a silly question but i know almost nothing about linux's stuff)
3) IF i wanted to play simple games would i? (star craft 1, red alert 2)
4) would itunes work on it?

1. No it can not run Word. Can run OpenOffice though.

2. Yes you can watch movies as long as you install Codecs.

3. You would have to install Wine.

4. No. Not unless you installed Wine.

how easy is it to open an OpenOffice document in MS word on a diffrent computer?

thats good, what my mom is worried about is that when she buys it, that i will be able to formate it into MS word, but i wont be able to send it as a MS word document. is there any truth to this?

Be aware that some format definitions may be lost when converting from OO to MSWord and vice versa.
If I were you I would install OO on Windows to test if there are any incompabilities before buying the computer.
And you can install the OpenSuse on your current computer to test it. Or other linux distros to check which one satisfies your needs better.

so what farinha was right something happened, i installed open office on this computer to try it, and made a test document. i sent it to another computer via email, and it said it was an MS word document, but it said it was corrupted and could not be opened? or something like that. any suggestions?

Is the original file still good on the original PC? That is the first test. If it doesnt contain any major modifications you can always try to copy and paste the whole thing into a OpenOffice document.

Also if it doesnt contain any personal info you can always send it along to one of us to test out as well.

Also can try to just copy and paste all of the info into a new Word Document and see if that new one will be able to be opened via OpenOffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom