Suse 10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ok, I have done some searching and all to do this, but nothing really usefull has come up, at votech we have an entire network for windows computers and we are working with some linux machines, I have finally gotten the windows computers to see the linux computers but they cant access them computers. Now Suse 10.1 can access everything and modify all the files on the windows computers and our local windows server. We have been trying to figure out how to set up Suse 10.1 to act as a file server like our windows file server. So anyone know of any tutorials that would be of help? Oh and another thing, we have two domains, the Tux-Net domain we setup for linux and the InfoTech domain we have been using forever now.

Ok, well we just tried the entire step by step thing, and nothing. Our linux machine can access anything on the server, but none of the windows computers can access our linux machine. Umm, any ideas?

charles_scott said:
Now Suse 10.1 can access everything and modify all the files on the windows computers and our local windows server. We have been trying to figure out how to set up Suse 10.1 to act as a file server like our windows file server. So anyone know of any tutorials that would be of help? [/B]

Try this Link: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_suse_10.1 it goes though everything, right from the install process upwards

Hope this Helps,

Jake

charles_scott said:
Ok, well we just tried the entire step by step thing, and nothing. Our linux machine can access anything on the server, but none of the windows computers can access our linux machine. Umm, any ideas?

Not sure if the guide I gave you specify that you have to add a user first.

Open up a terminal, su in as root

smbpasswd -a user

user being any user name you want

enter the password and repeat.

Then check smbpasswd to make sure the user is added

cat /etc/samba/smbpasswd

When you're in Windows you should see the shares in My Network Place, when you click the share folder an authenication prompt you to enter a user name and password, that's when you enter the user you added.

If you donÂ’t see anything, make sure samba server is set to bypass your firewall on YaST or disable the firewall for the moment.

One question, what desktop environment are you on?

I kinda forgot the enviroment, think it was Gnome, it will be like two weeks before I can do anything else since we have just gone on break. Thanks for the help, I will try this as soon as I can get back to votech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom