Success at school = Success in life ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finish. Take it from someone who didnt finish school. I graduated High School but never went to College.

I may have the MVP, i may have all this knowledge in Windows, I may be smarter than half the IT people that i know in the field around me. but i am unemployeed and they are working. Cause they got that piece of paper.

Yeah it feels good to get that phone call from them when they dont know WTF they are doing and i have to solve their issues for them, yeah it sucks that they get the credit and continue to be employeed.

But frankly at some point the boss's will stop being fooled by the ruse and see the man behind the curtain for what he really is.

I am taking my steps now to get that piece of paper. It is much harder now than if i would have done it sooner. Get it done with.

As of late, education doesn't really matter because jobs are scarce.

I would never oppose schooling, not one bit. I wish I could afford to go myself. But more and more I see college graduates (2yrs-4yrs in) that come out of a local college or university and can't find a job.

"Over-qualified"

The jobs I do here lately are based on whether or not you've worked with the company in the past and they will ONLY take previous employees. But, I've still yet to get the jobs.

So take it as you will, If you can do it, get the education. Job market can't stay horrible forever.

EDIT: I don't think I double posted that, my internet crapped out on me for 20 min

My GF's older brother is graduating this term with a BS in Business from a local university. He's going to have one heck of a time finding a job in this economy, as will anyone else.

I wouldn't say success in school has a direct correlation with success in life. Success if you mean making a lot of money, starting a family, living the American Dream. My dad dropped out of college back in the day, worked really hard, and was making $110k a year for quite awhile, before he got layed off back in the fall. My boss never graduated college and he makes $200k+ a year.

Your best option without any question is to finish college, period, period, period. Get whatever degree you need and get any certifications you need. Might be a crappy world economy, but it won't be that way forever.

Yeah statistics definitely confirm that, but it doesn't represent everyone. My whole dad's side of the family didn't go to college, and they all make good money.
My cousin is the highest paid used car buyer in Wisconsin, and has been making six-digits since he was ~22
Other cousin makes a pretty good living doing hair styling stuff
Other cousin (I think 19 or 20 now) does paintless dent repair, which he learned from a 1 weekend workshop... i think he makes 50k a year

That's not my advice, though. I hate school. I know that school is not for me, but I'm at college trying to get a degree, just going through the motions, because I know I will be better off later. After Junior year of high school, I was pretty confident that I had the essential education, and all of my classes were a waste. Hopefully it'll get better once my classes are for a specialized field, but right now I'm just forcing myself to take the required junk.

Other cousin (I think 19 or 20 now) does paintless dent repair, which he learned from a 1 weekend workshop... i think he makes 50k a year

Learned it in one weekend and was good to go? That's a first, It's not the hardest thing in the world but from what I've experienced and heard it's not something you pick up over a weekend. My GF's father does PDR(paintless dent repair) for multiple rental agencies here, he makes a solid $100k a year. But I wouldn't advise anyone to get into that business anymore. The industry is so over saturated.

take it from somebody who didnt opt to go to college, school is the most important days of your life, be good at it. I wish i know this when i was in school.

Learned it in one weekend and was good to go? That's a first, It's not the hardest thing in the world but from what I've experienced and heard it's not something you pick up over a weekend. My GF's father does PDR(paintless dent repair) for multiple rental agencies here, he makes a solid $100k a year. But I wouldn't advise anyone to get into that business anymore. The industry is so over saturated.

like i said, whole family is in the car business, so i'm sure he got plenty of experience and got a nice referral.

plus apparently he went to the weekend workshop and like 50 people showed up on friday, and by saturday afternoon 49 people had left so he got 1 on 1 training for almost 2 days lol.

For all those people that are thinking about leaving at Year 10. What's the rush to leave school? Was is it that you need to do now and can not wait another 2 more years.

Computing at A-level is a joke, simply a walk through the park if your a techie and with the resources of the forums at your disposal you should have no problems. Maths always a good strong subject aswell as physics but you really have to put a lot of work in, I only did AS as it was way too intense for me to continue. Geography is also a good traditional subject and peronally I have a knack for it so so far its been super easy just learn your case studies to the letter and if in a panic make up a case study which is likely to of happened (as a last resort only). My mind blanked in my first AS geog exam so I invented a flood happening in Bangladesh killing 150ish people in <insert random year> I got 1 mark off of full marks overall for that exam.

I was never not going to not do AS/A levels and uni ;) Was just wondering how much it mattered if i got a few crap grades on my GCSE's.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom