Static IP's on home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpkramers

Baseband Member
I have 2 computers with XP and a PS3 hooked up to a router via ethernet cable on my home network. Each one of course has it's own IP address that changes from time to time to either end in 100, 101 or 102. I'd really like to get those to stay static if I could, since my kids' computer uses mine to print and play music etc. When the IP's change I have to fix Zone Alarm on each machine to get them to talk again. Can I do this by logging into the router and editing some settings? I have a Linksys router.

Thanks

yea you can go into tcp ip props and chage it to static ip on the ip that currrently works for you but what do you do when your isp changes your modems ip? you can also get a usb or parellel hp print server that will make your hp printer a network printer but then you will have to change the ip of that too sorry I could help lol

On your computer, go to control panel>network connections. Right click on your local area connection and select status. Then select the support tab and click the detail button. Write down the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers. Now right click on the local area connection again and select properties. Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Enter the first 3 number of the IP address and for the last choose anything from 2 to 50. Then enter in the subnet mask,default gateway and DNS and click OK to save and OK to exit and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom