Static IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

In Runtime
Hello,

I am looking to set it up so that I can remote into my computer from anywhere. Do I need a static IP address to accomplish this? I have called Comcast and asked for one, but they said they do not provide static IP address for residential customers. Is there anyway to set it up so that I can access my computer remotely with a dynamic IP address? If I use a dynamic IP address how often will it change?s

Your IP address more than likely is static from Comcast. Go to whatismyip.com to see what your public IP is.

Two easiest ways to do this is to:
1. Use logmein, you install free software on your home PC, then you can access that PC from any other PC on the internet without requiring software.
2. Use RDP that comes with windows. The only setup that this requires is port forwarding on your router.

So if I use RDP from my home computer what do I type into my browser to be able to access the computer if the IP address isn't static?

By RDP do you mean Remote Desktop Connection? If so what do you enter for the computer and how do I tell it where to go so I can access it?

If you aren't sure about the details I would suggest using logmein, it's going to be much easier to setup and require zero configuration on your router.

Alright I will try LogMeIn, but how do I set it up with RDP? I would like to try both so I can figure out what one I like better.

Doesn't the public IP address change though since my Comcast internet uses dynamic IPs?

Even though your officially getting a dynamic IP address, and it could change anytime, usually they stay the same for long periods of time. You could also use Dynamic DNS, (DDNS) it could connect you even if your ip address changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom