Starting Classes soon for IT Degree..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
I'm so excited! Granted, I just got laid off, but I'm going to go to school full time and live off my GI Bill until this economy settles down. And I need some schooling behind me.. My Grunt Trade labor has gotten me this far..

I'm going to start with an Associates degree and go from there. If I want to pursue the Bachelor's, I'll do it when the time comes.

I've gotta brush up on my math skills, but no big deal.. :D I'm thinking maybe Fiber Optics in the future.. We'll see, I've got time.. And I don't think 28 years old is too late to start. lol

Question: I was thinking something along the line of Fiber Optics, but I love computer hardware. I'm just unsure what I can do with it.. As far as the Hardware side of things.. Ideas?? Network and server setup?

I use fiber optics every single day where I work. I install them, test them, repair broken endfaces, etc. I install ST's, and multi-termini connectors using multimode fibers. I use blown optical fiber (BOF) and "standard" fiber cables. After saying all that ... you might think I could get a job somewhere in the IT world doing that.

My first hunt basically concluded that unless you have a Bachelor's degree along with fiber experience, it is hard to get into anything other than what I am doing, which is installing these things in military applications (USNavy). My suggestion is you get that Bachelor's Degree in an engineering discipline because you will need a heap of physics, calculus I, II, III etc. among other things.

It is a tall order, but you can do it if you really have the discipline, money, aptitude, and time to take that route.

Regarding networking hardware and servers, like to be a network administrator it isnt engineering so much as what you would need for fiber optic design and engineering. In other words, not as much math, but it is still a Bachelors Degree that you would need to get somewhere. There are exceptions, some people climb the ladder in other ways, but these days you will need a B.S. to start.

If you go to the US Bureau Of Statistics you can put in a search for say "network admistrator" or "system administrator" and get a brief description of what those types of jobs entail, wages, 10-yr outlook, etc.

Good luck, Antec, and again, congrats on your decision to go to college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom