Start my IT career with A+ cert?

pistons50

Beta member
Hello all. I am 23 years old. I have been into computers almost my whole life. I have read basic general IT articles throughout growing up. I have ran websites. I have picked out my own computer parts and built my own computer many times. I am tight on cash and pretty much stuck at a 12/hr job so school isn't much of an option right now but I can spend 200 bucks on the comtia A+ cert exam, so I was wondering if I study myself, take practice tests and just learn as much as I can about the A+ cert and then when I feel I am ready take the test and pass. I would start to apply for helpdesk jobs, maybe bestbuy geeksqaud, and other similar jobs just to get some IT experience. Then I would hope I would be making more then 12/hr and and move onto getting my Net+ cert and just keeping getting more experience and more qualifactions as I go. Perhaps CCNA afterwords for a higher grade qualifaction IMO and just go from there. Does this sound possible? Any suggestions, ideas?

Hey man, what's up?

I'm in a similar position, only younger. But I have basically the same plan. Do you have a degree of any sort? From what I've researched, it may be difficult to land an entry-level job w/o any experience, and only an A+ cert. But not impossible! It may help that you have your own hands-on experience though.

You could study and pass the A+ within 5 months, depending on how much you already know. (the compTIA A+ will quiz you on this to estimate study hours). You probably wouldn't be making much more, though. Maybe $15 an hour if you're lucky. I agree with you that it's a great idea to pick up other certs as well, and if you're looking into something more financially giving, you should look into the security & networking side of IT.

The guys here could probably give you a LOT better advice than I, but I thought I would give my 2 cents. Hope I helped!

Chase

Definitely start with the A+ but realize having that cert will not guarantee you a job. Realize that your story isn't uncommon (sorry to say) and a lot of people are doing just what you've outlined in order to make more money. It can definitely be done, but you will have to do a bit more than just the A+ to land a decent IT job.

A+ will get your foot in the door at some places, but realize those places probably won't pay much higher than 14 an hour without any experience. If you get your A+ and Net+ you may land a helpdesk / desktop support role which can be around 17 an hour.

I just want to start with A+ and landing any job over 12/hr would be fine because I can start getting some experience to put on resume and in the meantime I would still be going after my net+ and possibly some others I have looked into. Just getting my foot in the door, no matter how good a job is a great start because the experience will just help in getting a bvetter job late ron the road. I am not expecting anything too great right away I would continue to add more certs along with my experience to work my way up.

Back
Top Bottom