Speedstream 4100 Constant Disconnections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkskeleton

Solid State Member
About a year or two ago I got SBC Yahoo DSL as my new ISP which runs using PPPoE settings. The modem they gave me is the Speedstream 4100. Usually I run through a Linksys Router (Wireless but I use wired connection, I believe it's a BET41G Version 8) connecting the home network together, I thought that the modem and the router were colliding causing some problem. That may be part of the problem, but I tried connecting my computer directly to the modem and it still disconnected me.

What happens is that at random intervals the internet goes out on my computer for a few seconds, and either the game i'm in drops me or theres just a time frame where nothing happens because my computer isnt recieving the data.

I tried updating the firmware for both the router and the modem this morning but that didn't seem to help. The same stuff has been going on now for several months.

What can I do to fix it?

I had SBC DSL service. It took them a year to fix the poor connections I was getting. There wasn't anything wrong on my end. After they replaced what ever was at the other end of my phone line my problems went away. Maybe it was the technician.:laughing:

I'd say it's your router or the pipeline connection... I had SBC Yahoo DSL too, and MAN was I glad when I got rid of that POS

Doubtful it's the router, considering he was having the same issues with 1 PC straight-through the modem.

Sounds like the common consensus is their service sucks. I'd try doing the whole "fix it now or I'll go elsewhere" routine. I tend to do that with pretty much everything - internet service, car insurance, etc... in the end, things always seem to work out when you put your fist down. :)

So if its my ISP, will AT&T likely fix it if I deal with them or am I just going to get fed BS? Should I go ahead and change ISP and unscribe now to save myself the hassle or deal with them? I remember a while back (months+) that I called them about the same problem but we thought it was the router causing the problem when really it wasn't.

I won't be able to make the claim "it's on there end, fix it" i'm guessing?

What are the lights on the modem doing when you lose the Internet connection? Are they still all A-OK or does something change when the connection drops?

It seems that the trouble might be happening when the PPPoE connection goes to recheck the connection (or reverify the password, w/e i'm not exactly sure what it does when it does that)

I tried setting the router to a Static IP connection instead of auto detect, it seemed to work flawlessly for a couple days (could have been just dumb luck), but now its back to the normal no-internet/disconnection spikes that occur every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom