sound with linux help

Status
Not open for further replies.
its working, want to play an mp3......type mplayer <filename> where filename is where the mp3 is and what the mp3's name is, also works for movies,cd's,dvd's etc etc-----it will play anything

:)

it doesnt do playlists though, you want that use one of the mp3 players like xmms or whatever is in KDE

Oh ya, only use root for system changes, use your regular username for everything else including startx......

you can switch into root by typing su from a terminal, and then entering your password, then when your done making changes type exit

hey, when i download stuff, were should i dl them? cuz i dl to desktop always. And something i dont think i understand, lets say i dl the source to mplay and extract it, that folder is the actual mplayer folder right? were should it be if i do dl it? which im not gona do, but im just confused

by default downloads goto your home directory; if your root they will be in /root;if your utoast they will goto /home/utoast

each user gets their own directory in /home/<usersname> , unless you tell the browser somewhere else stuff goes there by default

ya i know that, it ell them to dl to desktop, but wat i dont get is when i install a pkg for example, were does it install to? and same with the source, were does it install?

when you download a source, thats one file, then when you extract if its zipped or tarred and zipped you will get a new directory with the unzipped stuff in it, cd into the new directory to see whats inthere AFTER extraction

example
have a file called mplayer-^^$&^% blah blah blah.tar.gz
then I would tar -xzvf mplayer^^$% blah blah blah and it will make a new directory with the unzipped mplayer stuff in it

with KDE it will create the new directory and show it on its own just by clicking on a zipped file, try it and then hit the home button to see your home directory afterwards, you will see the source and the newly created directory

grrr, i have deleted all the mplayer folders i could find, but when i type installpkg mplayer blbla i get this:

root@U-Toast:/home/ubertoast# installpkg mplayer-1.0pre5-i486-3jim.tgz
Installing package mplayer-1.0pre5-i486-3jim...
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
mplayer: MPlayer (movie player)
mplayer:
mplayer: MPlayer is a movie player for LINUX. It plays most MPEG, VOB, AVI,
mplayer: OGG, VIVO, ASF/WMV, QT/MOV, FLI, RM, NuppelVideo, yuv4mpeg, FILM,
mplayer: RoQ files, supported by many native, XAnim, and Win32 DLL codecs.
mplayer: You can watch VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, DivX 3/4/5 and even WMV
mplayer: movies too. MPlayer supports 10 types of subtitles formats: VobSub,
mplayer: MicroDVD, SubRip, SubViewer, Sami, VPlayer, RT, SSA, AQTitle, MPsub.
mplayer:
mplayer:
mplayer:
Executing install script for mplayer-1.0pre5-i486-3jim...
ln: `gmplayer': File exists

it installed, just overwrote the gmplayer file, no big deal

ok when you install something without doing it via the package method stuff goes into lots of places, usually /usr/local/bin/ like with windows, system files and libararies needed will go into places you aint supposed to look :)

anyway, with packages, goto /var/log/ and open packages, it will have a log of where everything is.

compiled sources like when you did ./configure, make, and make install install into wherever needed, usually /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin plus anywhere else needed, to delete those you have to track them all down the old fashioned way and delete them

get a program called check install, may be on CD2, next time instead of make install you'd type make checkinstall, makes removal easier.

ok well semms like i uninstalled it all, now i typed the installpkg command, i got this is it normal? there isnt much

root@U-Toast:/home/ubertoast# installpkg mplayer-1.0pre5-i486-3jim.tgz
Installing package mplayer-1.0pre5-i486-3jim...
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
mplayer: MPlayer (movie player)
mplayer:
mplayer: MPlayer is a movie player for LINUX. It plays most MPEG, VOB, AVI,
mplayer: OGG, VIVO, ASF/WMV, QT/MOV, FLI, RM, NuppelVideo, yuv4mpeg, FILM,
mplayer: RoQ files, supported by many native, XAnim, and Win32 DLL codecs.
mplayer: You can watch VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, DivX 3/4/5 and even WMV
mplayer: movies too. MPlayer supports 10 types of subtitles formats: VobSub,
mplayer: MicroDVD, SubRip, SubViewer, Sami, VPlayer, RT, SSA, AQTitle, MPsub.
mplayer:
mplayer:
mplayer:
Executing install script for mplayer-1.0pre5-i486-3jim...

ok now when i type mplayer in konsole i get this:

ubertoast@U-Toast:~$ mplayer
mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libdvdread.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
this is with the package install.

yep thats normal, its installed and working, look inside /var/log/packages and scroll down to the very bottom and it will show it being installed last and where evrything is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom