some problems i hope you will be able to sort out

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
right. we have recently set up a wireless network in my house.

here is how it is configured:

router is next to dads comp, and connected to it with cat5. me and my brother are both wireless usb adaptors. the router has a built in modem.

it was working the first and second days, but now it seems to have messed up.

my comp and my dads comp see each other in the work group, and can share files. we both have internet access.

my brother computer cannot seem to connect when it is on 'obtain ip automatically' it will 'aquire netowrk address' endlessly. if i set the ip to the same one the dhcp server gives it, it connects straightaway, but he has no internet access, or shared files, leading me to belieive it isnt really connected. (the other two computers obtain their ips automatically with no problems)

help would be much appreciated, as i am completely confused by this.

try logging on to the router, and the having it set a static ip address according to his mac address.

right, basically, it all went crazy earlier. mine and my brothers network adaptors went bad and required a total reinstall of drivers. it now seems fine, but on my computer, it occasionally just drops out. the only way to reconnect it is to remove the usb adaptor from the system, using the device manager, and then unplau and plug it in again. the system says found new hardware, etc, and then it all works fine.

i was looking in the windows error reporting section in the 'system information' box, (msinfo32.exe) and it said about the network

Time: 04/01/2006 14:16

Type: Dhcp

Problem: Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.2 on the
Network Card with network address 001143127FA8.

I was wondering if this is relevant?

another thing you can try on the computer you have statically assigned, is to also make sure you statically assign the DNS addresses. without these, the computer will get to the network but not the internet.

to clear up other issues, you may want to get into the router's congiguration page, click on "status, DHCP clients table," and remove the 2 wireless MAC addresses in there. reboot your wireless computers and let them pick up another IP again and see if that works.

hoe this isn't too vague.

That would be the DNS server provided by your ISP. You can find that info in the routers configuration page. It should have a primary DNS and backup DNS usually..in the WAN section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom