software questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
- could anyone tell me if i associate all media files with say VLC or GOM player how do I get the player's icon to show up when browsing those files? for eg ive assigned avi's to GOM but when browsing them they have the VLC icon.

- where can i check what each item in my registry does, whether its necessary or not? for example in my msconfig startup tab i have this rundll32, dunno whether i need or can delete?

cheers
dan

In VLC, hit Tools > Preferences > Interface > File Associations: Association Setup. Uncheck the file types you don't want VLC to handle. If you have these file type checked in the other program, it should change them once VLC let's them loose.

If you don't know what something in the registry does, leave it alone. The registry is what Windows runs on. Screw it and Windows is dead. If you want to find out what something is, Google it. You would be more profitable searching through your running processes than your registry, though.

Rebuild the Icon Cache. Associating the files and ahving the other application leave it alone is good. But the icons would have to be fixed by a restart or a Icon Cache rebuild.

after interface i cant find file associations in VLC. but besides i want to be able to make a global change not just for one program. what if i tell both VLC and GOM to play avis this way? which would win? im hoping theres one particular place i can make the change.

how do i "rebuild the icon cache" ? that sounds promising. ive never even heard of that before.

If you tell both applications to be the primary it will be which ever one you loaded last that will take precident. The only place to really make a change is by selecting only 1. Having 2 applicaitons or more that you want to play the same file type Windows will either default back to WMP or use the last applicaiton run. Since there is a conflict with permissions among the applicaitons.

As for the Icon Cache rebuild. Which OS? I cant give directions unless i know. It is different for each.

XP TweakUI:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Vista:

Icon Cache - Rebuild - Vista Forums

File type associations can be changed centrally. I would guess that when you go to the applicaion itself and tell it to open a particular file type all that is doing is changing the same record in file associations that you could change yourself. I don't know where they are in XP but if it is like vista then in control panel there is default programs then Associate a file type or protocol with a program. I know there is something similar in XP but I don't remember where.

aight done that. still getting same sort of problem tho. for eg on my flash drive i have a jpg file thats showing up w/ no icon at all, as opposed to windows pic and fax viewer which ive associated it with, both thru the global settings in control panel, and by right clicking and selecting always open w/.. etc.

Open My Computer>Tools Folder Options. There should be the option to choose which program you want to associate with while file type under the file type tab. I believe it is there. In VIsta right now and dont have XP isntalled so i cant verify.

But try going thru there instead of the Control Panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom