So who's getting pounded by snow/ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woke up yet again at 7:30 this morning to a rolling black out that lasted 4 hours. Why you ask did they do this? Because the ****ing ******* super bowl. The blacked out rural areas to make up for the power suckage of the new stupid stadium. I really hate football and football/superbowl fans right about now. We finally decided to leave our house and chance icy roads when it got down to 38f inside. I finally came back by myself to fix the duct work under the house so both sides blow hot air. I am now covered from head to toe in fiberglass insulation and can't shower cause hot water lines are still frozen.

Wow.. they would get absolutely hammered in this country if that happened. At least i think so. I can't ever imagine them even considering doing something like that. Not that it ever happens, the advantage of having a small country, and thus small energy grid, is we can and do just use France's electricity when we're short. Rather famously, like at the end of every episode of EastEnders (British drama about people living in East London). Everyone goes to boil water for a cup of tea/coffee, and it creates such demand we have to use 3 of France's power stations :angel:

Well here's the deal (read up on it). The *insert ridiculous name here* commitee that oversees the grid here in Texas and regulates power consumption was saying that we reached an all time peak and so there for had to do scheduled cut offs in 45 minute periods for everywhere besides certain exempt areas like Hostpials, down town areas, city halls, and nurserys. In that same article they admitted that the stadium has its own generators that could power the whole thing for a few days (it takes the same amount of power as a medium sized city). The reason for the power spike is Super Bowl is this sunday, and we had an all time record breaking low the past couple of days so not only do we have tourists here, we also have everyone running a high amount of heat to stay warm. Some areas got the 45 minute out periods, other areas where out for 4 hours, others out up to 8 hours. We where out for 4 hours, and when I had woken up at 7:30 the power had been out maybe 10 minutes. In that time period my house dropped from 72 to 38f and everyone was freezing. Power came back on around 11:30 and I got the ducting fixed around 2pm. It then took 7 hours to finally heat my house back up to 72f with my central heat going non stop and 2 other small heaters in the house helping. They where also considering doing it again today but I think they would have a huge riot on their hands even in this cold. That 2 billion dollar stadium (or however much) would be a burning pile of rubble by now if they did lol.

We're getting what we normally get for minter... cold rain and mud. :D We had a little freezing rain last night but the temps didn't drop enough to do anything.

It's rainy here also, the AC is turned off at least, I've got the door cracked open to keep the room cool :thumbsup:

Pipes still frozen over besides the kitchen. With some back breaking work and a hair dryer I've managed to keep the cold AND hot water going in the kitchen sink. Can't wait for tomorrow cause it's gonna warm up and I can take a shower finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom