Small Vista Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millenniumtiger

In Runtime
Well I just started using Vista a couple days ago with my new laptop. I have Vista HP sp1 (32 bit).

Sometimes, it will not respond at all when I tell it to shut down. It acts like I did not click a thing and the only 2 things that I can do is restart and log off (but cannot shut down when logged off)

This happened yesterday and once today.

I have only put on the following things:
COD4
Xfire
Spybot
AVG Free
ZoneAlarm

Hello,

How long does it freeze for? A couple of minutes? What are the system specs?

Cheers,
Mak

It won't shut down at all...I actually just had it happen. Had to hold the button to shut it down. I'm starting to think that it may be xfire. I'm going to stop using it until Tuesday, and if I don't have it happen, then I'll get rid of it.

If you have any other ideas, let me know and I will try them out. I love Vista so far and would hate for this little thing to ruin it.

System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 5750 2.0Ghz
3 Gb of Ram
Integrated gfx

Helo,

Before you attempt to shut down. Make sure you close out XFire and Spybot. It is one of those 2 causing the freeze.

Cheers,
Mak

sometimes if you don't let it shut down completely...it stalls...sometimes it's slow to shut down, but it will...and when it is able to...your next shutdown will be or should be normal

it is basically Vista being polite to a stubborn driver...which in turn is being impolite and not terminating itself

if you do a search you will come upon a registry tweak...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]

with mention of: "WaittoKillServiceTimeout"

some will suggest 4 digit numbers...some 15000...anything less than the default 20000

I am only providing info and not telling you what to do :D

After trying the other things, if they don't work, check to see if there are updated Vista drivers for your motherboard. I had the same problem early on, and that fixed it for me.

And if you set that number in the registry, it should be lower than 15000. I'd set it at 5000 or something. 15000 means it will wait 15 seconds before it force closes something. 5000 means it will wait 5 seconds. But always remember to back up your registry when working with it, and be very, very careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom