Singularity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
I got this game and it was pretty fun.. I did a review on it.

Introduction:

Hello! This is Overlord with Intense Gaming TV!! Today I have for you a review of Singularity single player campaign.

About the Game:

This game was released on June 30th 2010 by Activision and Ravensoft. During the cold war between 1949 and 1950 Soviet Russia decided they need one step up from the United States to gain security. They find an element on the island known as Katorga-12. This element is called E- 99. Being pushed to a deadline they fail to use safety regulations causing a catastrophic event on Kartoga-12. Everything disappears until 2010 when some mysterious activity has been recorded on the atoll outside Russia. America has a plan to send a stealth fly by to see what's up. That is where our story begins.

Story/Gameplay:

That is the first question most people ask about a single player game. Is there a story? Well this game has one. Most of it is everything you probably have seen before. Along the lines of, Someone reports something. You get sent in to see what it is. All **** breaks loose. You have weird creatures as well as military after you. And they make you do everything by yourself.

That is the general gist of the game. The story goes into extreme depth and actually turns out to capture interest. It starts out slow without knowing much of what your supposed to do. But along your journeys you find Notes and recorders that help you get more of a history of this small island. Eventually you run into a group Call Mir-12 that helps you on your journeys to find the truth of the SINGULARITY. Which seems to be the cause of all this mayhem.

You get to do a lot in this game, Shooting, Running, and even swimming. I also like the fact that every door you must go through you have to kick open.

As you just seen a second ago I had time traveled back to the accident. This game does that frequently which helps you get an even better idea of the back story.

Later on in the story you get a Time Manipulation Device. Better known as the TMD. It gives you the ability to, you guessed it, manipulate time. You can not only alter time for yourself but you can alter single objects as well. Lets say you clean out a chest of ammo and E-99? Make the chest go back in time to where it was full again. You can also use the TMD on enemies. Make the Humans a mutation or so old they die or make mutation human.

You might think.. This is pretty fun! Even with a fair amount of possibilities, to me this was short lived although it made combat a bit more interesting.

As you go through the game you will have what I think of as Special Challenges or levels. I had the most fun at these portions of the game. They come in different forms but mainly you vs time or you vs a giant monster. These challenges were adrenaline packed and fun.
Like a lot of games these days the developers want replay value. So, for replay value they give you 3 different endings. You do this to get that, or this to get that, well you get the point. Instead of replaying the entire campaign you could revert back to your last save point if you care what the other two endings are. As far as replaying the game for each ending, that might be pushing it.

Weapons:

There are a lot of weapons in this game. Including Pistols, Assault Rifles, Shotguns, and Sniper Rifles. These are pretty realistic as most of them are older Russian arms which have equal recoil and muzzle flash as to what they might have had in 1950.
Some weapons of course are way newer found on recently dead military ops. Ammo is usually pretty common so you don't run out to often because killing the mutants by melee deals a lot of damage to yourself. You can carry up to two weapons at a time + the ability to melee. You can purchase weapon upgrades and ammo at Weapon Lockers located around the island. To purchase these upgrades you use the element E-99 which you collect around the game.

You can find E-99 in red colored chests around the island as well as lying in piles of rubbish and suitcases. You can find ammo for your weapons, Health Kits, and Syringes that give you health boosts in these red chests as well.
This gives it an RPG feeling to the game because you need to look around. Although the world is pretty linear you can turn the wrong way to find a dead end. But that doesn't mean you don't want to turn the wrong way because it could lead to chests. E-99 is valuable as you won't make it far without a few weapon upgrades along the way.

A.I.:

This is a horror suspense story and it shows deeply. The A.I. is pretty decent run of the mill A.I.. The mutants that you fight sneak up on you. And pop out at the last minute which gives that scare factor that most are looking for in these types of games. The humans are a bit stupid. In the events I have ran into them they do not hide from return fire all that often. Which makes them kind of easy. The Mutants are hard to kill. As it usually takes 2 headshots to drop one to the ground. I like this though because If a mutant happens to pounce as I go around a corner I can't spray and must aim as not to waste ammo.

Graphics:

I believe this runs on the Unreal 3 engine which is a bit dated so I was surprised on how well it looked. Ravensoft did do some work with the unreal engine and this game looks pretty good. I would say on par with most of today's games and more detailed then most. But I would have liked to seen smoother edges and better physics

Conclusion:

Singularity is a game in its own. Similar to F.E.A.R. and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it makes you think on the edge of your seat the entire game. No real direction or markers telling you where to go is a nice touch on the fear factor. You can always expect to jump because things happen in the strangest of places.
Although it's very linear it's like a good book. You want to know what happens next so you keep playing. Some people have reported texture issues but this game looks really good for the rather dated Unreal Engine. You were drastically limited which is not a good thing in a game of today, but it still managed to hold my interest. I didn't expect much from a game I have barley herd anything about but it surprised me.
This game gets an 8 out of 10.

Good review :) Graphics are indeed better than I expected; I'll probably pick it up.

I'd like to play it, but I am already so behind with games that I highly doubt its going to happen. I haven't even play Bioshock. I am also lost somewhere halfway into HL 1 from a year ago.

I was in an empty room... Trying to figure out what to do. There is a camera and it says Press R to use. Sooo... I press R and it takes a pic and I get blinded by the flash.. This is why its such a big deal. Look at the pic. Scared me to death..

Singularity2010-07-0922-34-10-37.png

Singularity2010-07-0922-34-02-84.png

Totally wasn't expecting that flash from that camera when i played it, game play was very short beat it in like approx 5 hours

Graphics are really good. Especially for a Unreal Engine 3 game. Some of the best for todays games.. And there is slight texture tearing at 1920x1200 with AA but there is a quick fix that gets rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom