Sharing DSL connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonespirit

Beta member
I admit it... I am totally ignorant about such things....

I just bought a second computer and have been trying to find out how to use a router to connect them both to the DSL that the first computer has... BUT the more I read, the more confused I am! I'm not sure if that's even what I need to do.

I don't need the 2 computers to "talk to each other" or file share or any thing like that. I just want them both to be connected to DSL.

Can anyone help?

Easiest way is to connect the internet connection directly into the router. Then the router can share the connection.

Alternatively, use internet connection sharing to share the connection from one comuter across the network.

This will only work, though, if the computers and router can comunicate properly

I don't understand the part "can communicate properly"

(Assume I am completely clueless... which is not far from the truth)

Bascly, you just get a router.

Hardest part is plugging in the cables, your modem goes into WAN, and your PC's go into the ports labelled 1 to 4 (1 per PC in your case)

Only other thing you may need to do, is type in your username and password into the router, however now this is unnesscary most of the time.

Yep its as simple as that, your router should give each computer an IP address, and then you should be able to get on the internet is no time.

Is it you need help installing the router ? Have you gotten it installed ? I know that most routers should come with a CD that shows you how to properly install them. All it really is is pluging in cables. Its a plug and play device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom