Setting up wifi hotspot for iPad2 in university halls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhysiboy

Beta member
Hi guys, new to the forum and I have never set up a wifi network but I am an experienced PC user.

The problem I have is I am due to move into university halls in september (i'm in the uk) and in our rooms we only have an ethernet rj45 port, not wifi. The thing is I've just been bought an iPad2 wifi for my birthday off my family so I will need to create a hotspot somehow.

The spare tech I have access to is a belkin router (b/g/n) and a pc tower on xp with a built in WLAN card. I can probably afford about £40-£50 (that's about $50-$60 right?) if I need to spend it, but I would much rather not spend anything.

It'll need to be completely WEP encrypted and I will need to be able to turn of SSID broadcasting because any torrent downloading from my port will mean I get an internet ban and a penalty fee which I don't want to be doing any time soon!

Look forward to the suggestions :)

Talk to your University IT people. Ask them what you can do. We have it specifically stated that we will not assist in bypassing any blocks or other things put in place by such institutions as a University.

Since we dont know which Uni you are going to nor do we know their specific rules, we cant be of assistance. Talk to the IT people there for assistance.

He's not trying to bypass anything Ksod, he's turning on WEP and turning off broadcasting in an effort to stop people hijacking his connection and getting him fined/banned.

OP, I'd suggest WPA2 not WEP. WEP is too easily crackable. General advice for adding wireless to an existing network using a wireless router is as follows:
1. Connect your laptop/pc to the port. Check the settings it's given (you want the DNS Gateway, the Default Gateway or Router, and the DHCP server address).
2. Disconnect your laptop, plug the belkin in. Configure it to use the DNS and Default Gateway settings that you recorded before, don't forget to turn off DHCP and just point it toward the DHCP server the Uni has.

Like Mak said, you should check with the IT people *BEFORE* you do the above. If they don't want to allow it, don't do it.

I only made that remark for 1 simple reason. We do not know what rules they have in place. They may not even allow for someone to use WiFi from their Uni Dorm Rooms, so by giving information would bypass their rules.

It is exactly for that reason that I stated to contact the IT people. That way he can confirm what is allowed and we can try to assist him more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom