Setting up an ftp site

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont find smartftp that great. Right now I use Filezilla. Simple, no hassle and dual threaded (2 downloads at once, great for internal lan) Also I use Filezillas ftp server. Its simple and works well. All totaly free and GLP'd.

I have an FTP server set up on an obscure port number, let's say port 12731, that NATs to port 21 through my router to the machine I have set up as a server.

I can connect from a remote machine, authenticating properly. Everything moves along quite smoothly until I try to call up a directory listing. The following is the result:

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
....10 second pause....
Connection closed. Server timeout.
426 Data connection closed, transfer aborted.

Death! Doesn't kill the session, it'll NOOP forever.

You are going to tell me to use Passive Mode; however, it is enabled. And yes, I did then try Active, which failed as well.

From the local machine, or any machine on my LAN, there is no issue, the directory comes up no problem.

Right now for a server, I am using Serv-U. I tried it first, actually, using IIS, but the results are the same in either case. Am I missing something in my router setup perhaps? I've set up port forwarding in both the router and Windows Firewall, and just to be sure I tried shutting off Windows Firewall completely, but this didn't even make a difference. Ugh.

Here's the weird thing: I can get in through Windows Command-line FTP, and it'll give me my connection and file listings and let me GET and PUT both text and binary.

Any ideas?

from http://www.kitz.co.uk/tute/ftp5.htm

Say a server is behind a firewall, and has an IP address 192.168.0.10. The outside world accesses the server by using, for example, address 243.56.78.1. To make passive mode work, enter '243.56.78.1' as the IP to use for passive mode for the domain.

The above assumes the firewall is set up to pass all the needed packets on to the server. In particular, this means the firewall has to allow incoming TCP connections to port 21 on the server, allow outgoing TCP connections from port 20 (for regular mode data transfers), and allow incoming TCP connections to any random port between 1024 and 65535 on the server (for passive mode transfers). Depending on what the firewall allows to pass it may be that despite passive mode address translation it is still not possible to use passive mode for data transfers.

If the firewall is blocking incoming connections to ports between 1024 and 65535 not all is lost yet. You may be able to open up the firewall to pass a limited range of ports to be used for passive mode data transfers. The Advanced tab in the Server Settings is used to accomplish this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom