Setting up a wired home network...Help?

Computer_noob

Beta member
I'm thinking about setting up a network at home. There are Ethernet ports in every room, and this panel (attachment) in a closet. Im not exactly sure how to make the connections work. I've tried hooking directly into them from my router (we have wifi and Internet already), to no avail. Anyone familiar with this panel (CSH10T)? Or know if its even possible? Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

-Tony

It's not possible to set up an lan network using that CSH10T unit. It's a telephone hub which means you would have to buy a network switch.
If you're sure that the Ethernet ports in every room are actually Ethernet ports and not telephone ports like they are in most houses and if those cables are lan cables of some kind (for example cat5e) then what you'd need to do would be to:
1. get a network switch with enough ports
and
2. Somehow solder the ends of an lan cord to the ends of each of those 7 phone line ends. Note that this step is a lot of trouble because that's 8 pins per cable and there are 7 cables.

Also note that after you do this, you wouldn't be able to use that as a phone line.

So to answer your question, it's possible if those are lan cables and not phone cables. It's just a somewhat big chore and it makes your wired phone line not work. If you are currently using a wireless phone which plugs into the back of your modem that your ISP gave you, this might be worth doing.

Thank you for your quick reply. I was afraid that was phone only.... However, i just reached up in the box and pulled the blue ethernet cords down and they weren't attached to anything!
I still plan on maintaining my current router (due to where the guy had to install it), any advice on making this work once I get ends for each of those lines? Each room has a grey jack (phone I'm assuming) and blue (the disconnected ethernet), my router is in the kitchen so any advice on where to go from there? Again, I'm trying to utilize the jacks throughout the house so we don't have to rely on wifi (especially for streaming Netflix/shared movies in the living room and upstairs in the bedrooms). Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom