Selectively deleting entries from you Firefox history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Selectively deleting your history entries seems like something you do in adolescence and while I hope I may help my young friends in this area, my reason for wanting to do this is to un-clutter my history.
If you visit a video on Youtube often for example, you will have a hard time just typing “you” in the address bar and finding it in the list, since people generally visit a lot of videos. There is a way that you can clean these from the history (and stuff you don't want Mom and Dad to see).
Martin has done a post previously on finding visited URL's through the index.dat file for Internet Explorer, now I would venture to add to that a bit by expanding it to Firefox, and suggesting a way of editing the document to your needs. Here we go:

wwwsign.gif
First of all, you need to find your profile folder. This table will show you the default directory in most operating systems, follow the link and open up your profile directory. Find the file named “history.dat” and open it, using any text editor. Now open up the replace dialog (most likely ctr+h will do the trick) and replace the unwanted URL with nothing, leave the “replace with” part blank. Replace all entries, and now these will not show up in the URL.
Sadly it is very hard to replace everything with nothing, except a specific URL. This would be more helpful, since I know I visit video X and video Y on Youtube a lot, but not all the 33 others. I am surprised I haven't seen any software for this, if someone knows of one please do share. Alternatively you may be able to use some basic programming with the help of an advanced text editor like Notepad++ do do this, but I think that's getting a bit complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom