Selecting a Tablet

polandsprings

Beta member
Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I need your help. I know absolutely nothing about specs, models, harddrives, etc. I just know that the higher the price and the more trustworthy the brand, the better the product :) loll

I am going to buy a tablet, but I do not know if I should get the iPad or iPad mini (the new ones that will come out in the near future) or the Galaxy Note Tablet. Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet with 16GB Memory Gray GT-N8013EAYXAR - Best Buy

First, is this Galaxy product new? Or should I wait for the next one to be released?

So, which is the better product? I know that there will be different opinions as Apple haters will be apple haters and apple lovers will support its products. I don't really care about specs b/c idk what any of it means. I do, however, care about screen quality, and from what I know, the iPad mini coming soon will have a better screen. Also, I plan on buying the smallest product as in the smallest GB.

FYI, I plan on using this for mostly school. I go to school in the city and want to spend my time in the train reading my material.

Advice PLEASE!

Thank you

The Note 10.1 is the latest line of devices to be released by Samsung. Waiting for the next one is always a choice. But in the end you keep waiting, you will end up never getting one.

Well better product is nothing more than a personal opinion. Some people swear by the Retina display, but for what I see on the display iPad's and other devices at work, there isn't that much of a difference to justify the cost. The display on the Nexus 7 is just fine for daily use.

Now the real thing is what aspect of school are you going to use this for? As there are far more "Office" based apps for Android that could serve your purpose than for iPad's. I know of at least 5 different "Office" apps that are fully compatible with Microsoft Office and its formats.

So if your looking to do note taking and such, that might be something easier to transfer files for you. But then again you might find something that you can use at school that is fully compatible with the iPad.

It comes down to finding the device that fits your needs. Nothing we say or do is going to matter. I can sit here and rant and rave about Android based devices and what they offer. But if they don't fit your needs, have the screen you want, size you want or price you want. Then I am doing nothing but wasting time.

You don't care about specs, you know haters gonna hate. The 1 aspect you do care about is something that only you can be the judge of. How the screen and material is displayed. Since each person sees things differently, your asking us to tell you which is going to be better for you? Kinda hard for us to give you such advice. ;)

The one thing I can say is go to a local retailer and check out the display units. That will be better than asking a Tech Forum which is the better device for your personal needs.

you need to make a list of things before even considering buying as device like this
such as
What do you need the device to be able to do
How much are you wanting to spend
What size, weight, dimensions etc do you want it to be
battery life
future proof (how many years do you want to keep the device before you upgrade)

If you mainly want a device for reading then you could just get a kindle, or a budget android tablet.
If you need it for school work, maybe think about windows tablets, such as surface or the iconia range

As KSoD as been saying it is very hard for us to guide you on what you want, if we had more detailed information we can give you an educated guess at which products may suite your needs.
But it is always best to go to a high street retailer, play with their devices, find the one you want, then go home and buy it on the internet for cheaper ;)

Another thing to consider is how portable do you want the tablet to be. A 10" screen is nice but not nearly as easy to stuff in a pocket or backpack as a 7" device.

If screen quality is what you're after, check out the Nexus 10, it has the highest resolution screen out there right now, higher than the Apple Retina. BTW, the iPad Mini does NOT have a retina display and is lower resolution than the Nexus 7 and costs substantially more. Of course, the numbers don't tell you everything so be sure to go and see and try these various tablets as others have suggested.

i plan to use it to read pdfs as well as for entertainment purposes...as for price, i would say my budget is $500.

ok since the best way to check which one i want is to go to the store, can you tell me what products i should stay away from? for example, i guess ipad mini is kinda a ripoff b/c the price and screen (i'm assuming from waht i read online)

Well an iPad is bigflger than an iPad minin

And as for whether to get an iPad or Samsung Tablet - depends what you're into.

iPads are best for apps and games whereas android tablets are ideal if you like open source or for work.

Your choice but hope this helps :)

According to me,Samsung Tablets are better than ipads but depends on the people.

yeah, i guess. i've always liked the iphone but i got an HTC last year and realised how much easier it is to browse using an android phone. if you've tried the iphone don't you find the zooming into webpages kinda hard to use??lol

Back
Top Bottom