SBS 2008 VPN Connection Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

heidit75

Beta member
I am having issues getting a VPN connection to work on a clients network. They have a SBS 2008 server with NPS (Network Policy Service) installed so all RRA policies go through NPS.

Port 1723 has been forwarded to their server on their modem (Motorola sbg900). Modem firewall is off, and the port has been added as an exception in the server firewall.

I have tested the VPN locally using the internal IP address, and it connects just fine. So I am pretty sure it is setup correctly on the Server.

Outside the network, it connects, but hangs on the authentication part, then throws a 806 error. (A connection between your computer and the VPN server has been established but the VPN connection cannot be completed)

I have setup a ton of VPNs on SBS 2003 and Server 2003 and that is all I have every needed to do. I read that GRE IP protocol 47 needs to be allowed as well (not a port, but protocol). I cannot find anywhere on the Motorola to allow this or PPTP_Passthrough.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set this up on the Motorola SBG900, or if there is something else that might be causing the problem??

Hi Heidit,

GRE IP Protocol 47 would be allowed in the advanced firewall settings of the sbg900, but if the firewall policy is set to none then its not needed. Also no firewall exceptions need to be made if the firewall is off.

When you forwarded port 1723 did you do it in Gateway>Port Forwarding>Config> page, and not the advanced firewall settings? Also maybe check the IP of the server make sure the ip of the server is correct, it should be the local IP of the server, 192.168.0.x.

Also you may try wwwcanyouseeme.org to test to see if port 1723 is open.

You could also try putting the server into the DMZ, this opens all the ports for the server.
Here is some info on doing this: How do I use the Gateway >Lan - dhcp leases page on my Motorola cable modem gateway?

Hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom