SB Live! 7.1 vs. SB Audigy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generator

Solid State Member
Hi everyone. I just changed my soundcard from a SB Live! 5.1 to a SB Audigy. I know the latter is supposed to be a better soundcard, but there's one tiny detail that's really bugging me: Line-In and Mic-In share the same slot. I'm no expert in this kind of thing, but with my good old SB Live! I connected my mic to the separate Mic-In slot and had very good results, since there was a fairly low level of noise and therefore applying noise reduction and compressing the vocals could be done without much trouble. I used the more "noisy" Line-In slot to record guitar, bass and the such. Now, with this mixed Line-In/Mic-In slot, everything I record with my mic has very high levels of noise, and applying noise reduction won't help because the sound quality decreases dramatically.

I'm thinking of changing my Audigy to a SB Live! 7.1 now, since the latter has separate Mic-In and Line-In slots. Do you think this is a good idea? Or am I doing something wrong with my current Audigy soundcard and I'm too stupid to notice it?

Thanks in advance. I hope this wasn't too confusing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom