Same old FO3 CTD issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp1994

Beta member
Hi there everyone. I googled for a bit, and noticed the ~6 page thread here about Fallout3 CTD problems. I'm having that too. I'm in the bar at the Megaton town, and I can hardly do anything without crashing there. So far I've tried the xlive.dll fixer, which does stop LIVE from loading, but doesn't fix my original problem.

I noticed in the System section of the Event Logger, there should be an error box popping up with some info, but it seems like something else is suppressing that error box. (Hmmm....) Here is the info from the event logger:

Application Popup in the System section of Event Viewer said:
Application popup: Fallout3.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x03dded16" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

Here is some info that may be of use:

• Running Windows XP Home SP3
  • Game patched to 1.7
  • I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT w/ 1GB of memory

Any help is appreciated, and I apologize for bringing up an old issue.

EDIT: P.S. It seems like Chipset drivers may bee an issue; I have an MSI P6NGM motherboard, with what looks like a nvidia 630i chipset. I'm a little confused, since I usually leave the onboard VGA disabled, and it seems like these drivers are only meant for the onboard VGA, but I'll be updating those drivers none the less.

Here's a link for the motherboard drivers for your motherboard:
http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/dvr_exe/mcp_x32_mb.zip

Alright, I'll give it a shot, thanks. It's odd though, I'm doing this Super-Duper (lol) Mart mission, and I'm experiencing no crashes at all. I almost think it may be my graphics card... which would be odd, since the game runs with no lag.

And after looking at the contents, it looks like I just installed that, so I'm up to date in that area. Any other ideas?

It could be your temps on your card. Try downloading and using EVGA Precision to ramp up the fan on your card. You can also use it to overclock it, but just increase your fan for now.
|MG| EVGA Precision 1.9.1 Download

Here's a link to the current drivers for your card. Make sure that these are what you are running.
NVIDIA DRIVERS 197.13 WHQL

Something else to check would be to see if anything else is running in the background. Some programs may just lay there but will kick up every once in a while.

That seems like that did help. This time, it crashed when I was walking past an Enclave Eyebot. The last thing I heard was; "This is John ____, signing off." Then the game crashed. I think it may be in the audio now :S But all audio drivers are updated.

ffdshow also has an Audio Config setting. I remember that I had to do it the same way as the video.

Well, I just don't think I have ffdshow installed. How would I go about seeing if I actually do have it installed? Should I install it?

EDIT: P.S, I don't think I have any codec packs installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom