Samba Related Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
My computer, Ubuntu 8.04, is running as a Samba File Sharing Server as a means of backing up everybody else's documents in the household which comes to about 5 other computers.

In media, I have my network drive mounted to "share"
"share" has user's folders inside, known as curt, tyler, jason, etc.

On curt's computer, when accessing his mapped share to my samba computer, he is unable to delete anything. It says it's write protected.

Okay, fine. So I come back here, sudo chmod 777 share.

Go back to curt's computer. Ahh, nope. Fail. Write protected.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to grant curt the ability to delete files in his share. I want him to do WHATEVER he wants to this share so he can stay organized with it.

Why am I getting this error? I granted 777 rights to the share folder, and I even tried granting 777 rights to his folder WITHIN share... neither worked..

djfkalsjda

Make sure you don't have it set as read only in your Samba config as well

It's not read-only. However I realized something.

My share folder = network storage. Within share, there's the users designated folders.

curt
jason
tyler
pam

jason is owned by jason (that's me) so mine works fine.
curt, tyler, and pam are owned by root.

This, I assume, is the problem. But I'm confused over how this works. If I grant 777 rights to the entire share folder, wouldn't that give any authenticated user who can access the folder full blown right to add/remove/delete/create anything they want? Why would it kick the other users to being owned by root?

have you used the " -R, --recursive" option? According to help:
-R, --recursive change files and directories recursively

You should make sure the windows users are users on the linux server and then use chown to change ownership of each user directory to reflect the correct user. Then set file permissions as required owner/group/others. In the samba config file the shares need to be labeled writeable = yes

They are labeled writable = yes.

When I make curt owner of his designated share folder, it comes back with this.

samba1.png - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Notice how root is in the mix, too?

But when I make jason (myself) owner of my designated share, I get this.

samba2.png - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's clear that there's a difference between my account and his. I wonder if he needs admin rights or something?

I'm half tempted to wipe out samba and restart it. Something aint right, but yet I've set this up before without any issue. I must have done something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom