router problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

korky122

In Runtime
my friend just got dsl and he has to computers and im letting him use my router (lynksys) so they can both play games. the internet and games work fine but when i hook up the router, nothing. could it be possible that the dsl company (version) only lets them use one computer at a time. what else could i try, i went into the router setting but i could not figure out what to do. the router worked fine when i used it on my pc.

thanks in advance.

What's the brand and model of their modem, because I'm thinking it already has some router functionality and by adding a second router (your router) made it conflict each other.

You can also try MAC cloning. All network cards or adapters have a unique “serial number”, called a MAC address. Your service provider can “see” your network adapter’s MAC address over the Internet. In some cases, the provider will record the MAC address of your adapter and only let that adapter connect to the Internet. If your provider requires the same network card to connect to the modem all of the time, use the "Clone MAC Address" option to copy the MAC address of that adapter into the Router.

Well if it's onboard it's still a network card and it will still have a MAC address. Open up command prompt and type ipconfig /all the MAC address is also known as the physical address.

ok, i wasn't sure if the nic was onboard, if it was still called a nic. ill let u know

When you attach the router to the DSL modem, WHAT is the EXACT process of what you are doing?

Do you just plug the router into the modem via the WAN port, then connect the PC's to the LAN ports on the router and it doesn't work? If this is the case, be aware that you will have to configure the router with their DSL account name and password, most likely as PPPoE. Additionally, as mentioned previously, it COULD be that they are monitoring the MAC address, but the ONLY MAC address the ISP would see is the MAC for the DSL modem.

Also, do you have DHCP turned on in the router?
Did you reset the router to factory defaults when you put it on their network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom