rooted.. now what?

ckop11

In Runtime
I've been having problems with my phone (Droid Bionic 4.1.2) in the last few weeks. So I finally got around to doing a factory reset. While i was doing that I got to thinking while I'm at it ill root it too..

So I just got rooted.. now what? I got root checker. Lol I've checked some out like SD booster, SD maid. no frills CPU controller.are they any good?? I'm looking to get more performance out of my phone and get rid of bloatware. And I think I heard something about making a free hot spot? (Within my phones annual data limit without getting a hotspot unit from my provider ).

Any suggestions on what apps I should look into for what I'm interested? Sorry this is new territory and Google searching has kinda been like "hey I like blue cars, what's a good blue car?"

Don't need any of those things you got. Can get ROM Toolbox, Root Explorer. But if your not looking to install a custom ROM, then there is no need for Root.

No there is no way to make a free hotspot without affecting your data. It does not exist. Plain and simple, the data has to come from somewhere. If your not in a WiFi zone, then it is from your Data. It will go against you. No app or trick out there can get around that. Yes your provider does know when your doing such things.

But as you said there isn't anything we can suggest without knowing what your trying to do. Having Root gives you full access, but if you never needed it and don't have a desire to use it for things like Titanium Backup, then really you don't need it at all.

I've been looking into ROMs, I think I might try that if I find something that suits me. But just scared to lock up the phone by doing something wrong. Thanks for clearing up the hot spot question. And I have heard good things about titanium backup.

Thanks.

I've been looking into ROMs, I think I might try that if I find something that suits me. But just scared to lock up the phone by doing something wrong. Thanks for clearing up the hot spot question. And I have heard good things about titanium backup.

Thanks.

That's certainly a valid concern. But as long as you read instructions to every little punctuation mark, you should be fine. And I'm not sure if Motorola has anything on their phones like Download Mode on Samsungs (which basically makes the phone very hard to brick), but I'd look into recovering a bad flash before you flash anything.

Also, go to your "About phone" and find the model number of your phone... google the codenames (i.e. t0lte and t03g for the Note 2) for that model and sticky tape both the model and "codename" of sorts to your monitor or somewhere easily accessible. This will help you double check to see if you're getting a compatible ROM for your phone.

Please, remember that this is your phone and thus your responsibility. If you brick it you will have to live with the painful fact that you have an expensive paperweight. If I were you, I might wait until I can upgrade and upgrade to a new phone before modding this one more. That being said, I have a rooted Galaxy Note 2 with a custom ROM and love it.

thanks for the info, ya the only reason im really getting into this is because i think im going to get a new phone soon (i have an upgrade available) so i guess i just have to decide if i want to start now or like you said after i upgrade.

thanks for the info, ya the only reason im really getting into this is because i think im going to get a new phone soon (i have an upgrade available) so i guess i just have to decide if i want to start now or like you said after i upgrade.

It's really your choice.
Mind you, a custom ROM won't allow your phone to figuratively fly and literally make you bacon. However, you could test out AOSP or Miui or something. You could try a stock rom that has better, let's say, battery life. Heck, maybe YOU could learn how to mod ROMs (it's really fun, trust me!). Really, you can make this phone your own.

P.S. Once you upgrade it'll make a great MP3 player/iPod touch! :)

There are other great ROMS out there as well. AOKP is based off of the stock Google experience with some extras added in. After all it is called the Android Open Kang Project for a reason.

Some other ROMS that I have used that are available for my device are Carbon, PACman, SuperNexus, ReVolt, Baked, CyanogenMod and a few others. Each have their benefits and their downfalls as well. ROMS like PACmand and ReVolt have a mix of ParanoidAndroid, AOKP, CyanogenMod all within the 1 ROM. So for some stuff you have 4 different setting groups to go through to find the 1 settings you want. Each of the different sub ROMS have their own settings then there is the device settings. So it can be just as frustrating to use an all encompassing ROM like them as it is using stock.

But there is also benefits as well. Having such options allows you to do so much more with the device. ParanoidAndroid is a great ROM by itself. Add into that the features of AOKP and Cyanogen and it only gets better. But it is frustrating when you want to disable a feature, like blinking light notification, and having to check 4 settings to find it and disable it altogether.

Motorola Droid Bionic - xda-developers

This will be the place to start. Read everything you can about the custom ROMS not only in the development sections but in the Q&A areas as well. Sometimes you wont find answers in the dev area cause it is strickly for development only. So the questions are pushed to the Q&A area where users can get feedback for normal questions they have about operation. So if you do find a ROM, read both areas and all topics about it to find out what has been asked and answered to see if it will be the right one for you.

Having previously owned a Motorola Device, it can be tricky at times if things don't go right. Motorola doesn't use the same setup as Samsung devices making it easier to go back if something goes wrong. They use their own tool called RSD which can be a bit of a pain. I had to use it a couple of times with my Atrix and to say the least, there was a time when my device was hard bricked and only a call to get a warranty replacement got it working again.

But if you read all the directions and make sure to ask first about anything your unsure of is the only real way to make sure what your doing will not get you into trouble. There will always be an unknown aspect, as each device is different. But if it works out and you find a ROM that is great, you will enjoy the device even more with the ROM and how it feels new again.

Having previously owned a Motorola Device, it can be tricky at times if things don't go right. Motorola doesn't use the same setup as Samsung devices making it easier to go back if something goes wrong. They use their own tool called RSD which can be a bit of a pain. I had to use it a couple of times with my Atrix and to say the least, there was a time when my device was hard bricked and only a call to get a warranty replacement got it working again.

This is why I refuse to ever buy a Motorola device. Had to help several people with Moto devices (mostly Droid X's), and hated how complicated they made it.

I'll stick with HTC and Samsung.

Back
Top Bottom